close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sandusky Bay Ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hearttxp, Dec 25, 2004.

1. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

Looking for a report on the ice in sandusky bay ? Are there any shanties by the old rt 2 causeway ? Was thinking about trying the bay or one of the marinas on Sunday. Thanks.

Hearttxp :)

2. hearttxp

Well I checked it out myself this morning. No one fishing around old causeway. Could not even make it up the road, They never plowed it since the storm the other day. Checked ice in one of the marinas on Rt 53 , About 2" of snow frozen slush and maybe 2" of ice under it. Didn't try any fishing. The ice is locked in around Catawba, One of the Airboats was hauling passengers back and forth from South Bass. Didn't see anyone else around Catawba State park.
    That snow up there is really bad. The drifts are at least 3 feet in some spots. Maybe be a while because of all the snow.

3. Hearttxp -- Thank's for the info about ol' bay bridge. I icefish there often.

4. i usually go to the islands to walleye fish when there's good ice but i've wondered what the fishing was like in sandusky bay? is it a panfish thing, crappies perch etc? can you give a hint about a good place to start?

thanks ahead for the help,

pik-n-fin

5. hearttxp

Pik-N-Fin
    Usualluy Fish along the old causeway,west end. Fish for perch and panfish they do get some bullheads also.Another spot is White's landing , down the river alittle on the east side. Never fished there but that's what I hear. Fish the bay when we can't get out off Catawba or when weather is really nasty. Hope that helps. Good fishing.

6. Be darn careful if you go to Whites. There are several springs and a lot of people break through each year. :( Stick close to the other shanty's and follow the main track out.