Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of summers we have been launching out of Dempsey Ramp to bass fish in that area. Almost invariably we catch a catfish or two on plastics or even crankbaits. Kinda got me wondering about targeting catfish with bait in the Bay. We are not particular when it comes to fish species and like to experiment with different methods just for a change of pace. With over 120 years combined fishing experience, it's plain to see why we like to mix it up !! Can anyone provide info or tips on location or techniques for my next "excellent adventure " ?

·
Banned
94 Posts
We used to catch them right off the old bridge. Worms, beef or chicken liver, stink baits, they all worked for us.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Launch at Dempsey, head south east toward old train bride. There's a flat that comes out from the bridge before ya get to the bridge. We always set anchor about 3-400 yds from the bridge in about 5-8 ft of water. Try to get to where the current washes out under the bridge and rolls on the corner of the flat. We use crawlers and circle hooks. Most times we can't use more than 1 rod cause when it hits the water, 30 seconds, fish on ! you can catch all the 12-15 inchers ya want with an occasional 20. Just try to get in the current coming from under the bridge that washes onto the flat. Good luck, Mike:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
If launch out of Dempsy and head toward Cedar Point, you can anchor in the "channel" and that's where we have had non-stop action for two of two trips. It's where the depth drops from the 5-10 ft to the 20+ foot depth. You have to anchor carefully so as not to get in the way of the boat traffic in the channel.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the helpful responses regarding the Bay. Sounds like something I'm going to try the next trip north. I live on the Ohio River near Pomeroy and fish out of my ramp for all species. The spring and fall sauger can be pretty amazing. Thanks again to responders. As the annnouncer for my Ohio Bobcats says " From the banks of the Ohio River to the shores of Lake Erie "

1 - 6 of 6 Posts