Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good spots in the Bay for cats? I've been fishing the Chagrin for cats, but they have been pretty small. Is Battery Park a decent spot? What are your favorite baits?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Crawlers and shrimp on the old bay bridge always work for me. You might want to try the Portage River in Port Clinton, too. Just make sure you get there about an hour or two before dusk to make sure you get a spot, then fish until you've had enough!
Good Luck!
LaDo

·
Banned
341 Posts
So that is what we where doing wrong, a buddy and I where up there this past weekend working on a trailer. We asked someone where to go and they told us about the Old bay bridge.

We went out there with minnows, we put one live and one crushed on the hook and threw it out. Only stayed for a few hours but didn't get a single cat. Caught some perch and sheepshead but no cats.

Saw some people reeling in some cats, was trying to figure out what they where using but it was too dark and they where too far away. Since I got that trailer now and I will be up there a lot more may have to give crawlers and shrimp a try. How does plain old chicken liver do out there, I have never had much luck with liver up at Erie, that is why we didn't try it that night

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never even tried liver there because the other baits normally work so well. The cats usually don't like minnows, but the sheephead love them. I was fishing in the Portage last summer with minnows on one rod and crawlers on the other. On the minnow rod, I got about two dozen sheephead, and on the crawler one I got about 10 nice cats. Give crawlers and shrimp a try, you'll get a few.
LaDo

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Any particular way to fix the shrimp?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
go to walmart and get large uncooked and shell on. sprinkle a good dose of garlic powder on them and freeze till your ready to go and keep them on ice.good luck.get a big one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have fished there, all that was suggested is fine,But I used leeches and in most cases you can use one several times. It doesnt hurt to chum the waters if you know what I mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts