Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are thinking about heading out to the bay on Monday, coming from the East. What ramp and what areas would be good to try for a first time on the Bay? I see there appears to be 2 ramps in Sandusky,one near the coal docks I think and the other looks like it is near downtown. We have never tried the Bay before. Looking to try for either large or small mouth or both. Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is a ramp downtown which is by the coal docks and thats the city ramp I think they charge $5 to launch. But as far as fishing goes if you want to go a little farther west you can go to east harbor bass fishing which is a lot better than the bay I think just look up east harbor state park and you can get directions PM if you need any other info

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The ramp on Shelby street, the one by the coal docks is free. Make sure you have all the necessary safety equipment because the Sandusky Police boat is usually down there doing safety checks. There are a lot of spots to try on the bay. One good one that is pretty easy for me to give directions to is the boat houses next to the Police station. That place is a great spot to go. Use the ramp near the coal docks, and when you look straight across the ramp you will see a small island, thats and OK spot. Anyways after you put in if you are looking at the small island go directly right of the island, you should be heading toward Cedar Point not the coal docks. Just go straight and follow the shoreline, there are a lot of big rocks along the shore so you could fish most of the way there. I've found in the bay the bigger the rocks on shore the better. If not then just keep going down along the shore until you see a big windmill, when you see the windmill go inside of that area and you will see the boat houses and from there it is self explanatory, lots of good areas to fish in there. If you get bored with that you can keep heading the same direction that got you to the boat houses and you will see the Cedar Point causeway, you can go under the bridge. When you come out from the bridge if you take another right and follow that shoreline there is a nice little cove full of lily pads. Be careful in there the water is only about 3 foot deep in some areas. If you follow the channel ( marked by buoys) all the way up to Castaway Bay the docks and decks of that place are under fished and pretty good. Be careful in the channel there is quite a bit of boat traffic in and out of there. It will be mostly if not all largemouth in those spots though. If you want smallmouth you will probably have to go the to deeper water. The bay is pretty shallow. Ok I'm done rambling now I hope this helps you out. If you need anything else just give a holler. Make sure to post how you guys did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well guys,thanks for the info. we went today and put in at the shelby st. ramp. Fished a lot of the riprap, the boat houses, the lily pad flat and the breakwalls. We didn't catch a thing.... missed a couple of bites but thats it. Finally around noon we left there and headed to resthaven to check it out also. First time in a very long time that I have been out and gotten completely skunked! Not even an exotic from the bay and thats bad...
Thanks for your help again!
What is the preferred method/location at resthaven for bass?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Man I feel bad for you guys that really sucks. I went to Resthaven on Sunday and managed 4 in about, three hours. It was a slow weekend. I would have to say the majority use a texas rigged worm. Most people fish pond 8 at Resthaven, due to the fact that it is the only one with a boat ramp. If you have a smaller boat you can put in at any pond. I like ponds 10 8 and 7. I can't believe you got skunked at Resthaven too. That really sucks. If you want more info pm me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts