close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sand Filter for.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

......An above ground pool.....

How long is the sand good for?? Does it have to be changed yearly, every other year? What have those of you with pools done with your own?

2. I have a 25x50 inground pool and change the sand yearly. It is not required but have found that you will save money on chemicals if you do this.

3. i use to service pools with metropaliton pool out of cleveland and as long as when you clean the pool you clean the junk off of the top of the sand and then back wash it it will last a couple of years

4. Also, stirring the sand to loosen it up a bit before backwashing can help it last longer.

5. Darwin

Ok, now bear with me on this as I am a new pool owner. It is not a new pool but it's new to us. To get to the sand you loosen the round clamp on top of the filter below the controller that controls the filter, backwash, rinse etc etc....Is that right?

My main reason for asking about changing the sand is that the return does not seem to have the force that it did last year.

6. Darwin,
    That is correct, loosen the round clamp on top of the filter.

Being that you are new to this, have you backwashed? You need to make sure you do that when the pressure gets up. I backwash mine for 90-120 seconds and that will drop the pressure and give good flow again.

Like I said, don't know how "new" to this you are?

7. Darwin

That is fine, the more info I get the better. Yes we have backwashed and the return pressue is better after we do but it still seems like less pressure than last year. I have not really timed it, there is a little glass jar/viewing port that I was told to watch until the water runs clear. I would guess it takes a minimum of 60 seconds but more like 90 for this to happen.

I will take the top off tonight and see what it looks like. I will see about skimming the top of the sand off and stirring it and see if that helps.

Thanks for the info!

8. Darwin

I had kind of forgotten about this thread...Maybe because of the embarassing outcome for me! :p :eek:

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions and information....Here is what was wrong.
    I tried cleaning off the top layer of sand in the filter. When i put it back together it still was not right! I was thinking something must be wrong with the pump? My son said what about the basket inside the pump dad? I said well buddy I looked in there but there was nothing in it. Anyway, I take it out and there was a clear piece of very thin plastic sucked up against the side of the basket.
    My son, who loves sliced cheese, said he dropped it and the wind blew it into the pool. He forgot about it and it ended up in the basket by the pump obviously partially blocking the waterflow!

It's all good now and is working like a new one!;)