close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saltwater tackle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigSmallieMike, May 29, 2008.

1. Heading down to SC for vacation next week and I think I'll take an old rod and reel down to wet a line in the evenings for some flounder. I know the impact of saltwater on steel, so I'll take steps to clean all wetted parts.
    I'm looking for a little insight into how to outfit myself and keep it simple at the same time - I'm not sure about line weight selection or hook/sinker/artificial/ bait and presentation. Any thoughts on what to put in a "survival kit" tackle box?
    :confused:

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

As far as tackle goes...you might just be better off buying a few things down there! Your rods and reels should hold up fine, just rinse them at the end of the day with fresh water...make sure it's fresh before you start hosing though!! I use bucktails, double rigged for flounder.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Flounder are normally caught in inlets or bay areas in calmer water. Estuaries are good spots if you can get access.
    Gear I would take would be 6 1/2' medium action rods, 12 lb. mono with a 20 lb. fluoro leader, 1/2 bank sinkers, 3/0 Mustad circles. Take some #3 swivels and some red beads and use a standard slip-weight set-up. Thread the bank sinker on the line, then the bead. Tie on the swivel. Add 24" of 20lb fluoro and tie on the circle. Fish mud minnows or live shrimp on the bottom and sloooooowwwwwwly drag the bait across the bottom. Flounders in the sand will ambush the bait as it moves by. I've caught several flounder in the 5-6 lb range in Maryland and Delaware doing this.
    When you rinse your gear, don't just give it a light shower. Use the hose and hit it with a jet spray. Saltwater doesn't just "rinse" off with fresh- you'll need to hit it good to get it clean.

Good luck.

UFM82

P.S.- try to fish rising tides when possible. Current means activity.

4. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

You should never blast your reels with a hose to get off saltwater residue. All that does is push the salt deeper into your reels. A light mist, followed by wiping it down with a cloth is the best course of action. Take special care to the line rollers if using spin outfits. That's where most saltwater collects.

5. miyot

miyot

wet the rod and reel, take a sponge or rag with some dish soap(dawn is good)and soap the entire rig. Do not spray with a jet stream is correct, it would drive salt into things. Rinse well and your done. Leave out doors until dry. Oil if you think things need it. Wash at the end of each days fishing. I ran flounder charters for 5 yrs and my flounder poles and reels are still in good shape.

As for a rig. Now listen to me and I'll tell you straight. I use 10lb. Trilene XT. Anyhow slip on a threequarter ounce egg sinker, a small swivel and a 16inch leader of the same line on your reel. Use live minnos, Killies or what ever they call them in the area you fish. Also use a # 4 mustad hook. The same size you would use for Smallmouth. Good luck. This rig is the simple carolina rig, or a fish finder by some. It's the best you will use.