close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saltfork Ice Conditions ?

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Dragline, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I checked the ice today and found 3"-4" of ice in several different spots. I believe I'll give it a shot. Normally I'll fish the north end by the covered bridge foundation and bucket a nice mess of Crappie. That end has a lot of structure and runs 6'-10'. I'll try it Saturday and see what happens. I'm supprised there has been no report yet ? Has anyone heard anything on Saltfork ice fishing ?

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I havent heard anything other than there are guys fishing.
    Google Salt Fork Outdoors and give them a call...he will help with info.

3. Stopped up at Saltfork Outdoors bait store today and got some info on where guys were getting into some saugeye. All lies !! There ain't been no holes drilled anywhere around where poeple have said they were ice fishing. I wasn't born yesterday. Man, Why can't guys give honest reports at the bait stores or say nothing at all. There was several groups that said the Ranger tried to run them off due to (unsafe ice) which is not true either because the ice is 8"-9" everywhere I drilled holes.

4. What's this Ice Storm gonna do to the local lakes? 1-28-09am I'm seeing lotsa rain runoff thet could make it's way in...Raise the Ice .. Flow out on top o' the Ice.. Darn She was just getting close to go time then this. Even if this Ice storm doesn't ruin it it sure will make it hard to drag shanty 3/4"crust ice on top of 2-3"snow on top of Lake Ice Pack. I'll be sweatin' up a storm before I get to where I wanna go.:mad:

5. I looked at Salt Fork yesterday. Theres big wet spots where water is ponding so that will need to re-freeze. Hopefully we'll get some more good cold nights.

6. Went to Saltforks morning glory ramp today 1-29-09 skipped work. Lots of tracks in the parking lot but not a mark on the lake there. A sign at the restroom shack said "Ice Unsafe" duh...as if the rangers would ever call it safe. Drilled a hole at the end of the floating dock. Found 7 inches of "so-so" Ice, not crystal clear. It held me fine,260lb. There's your Ice Report.

I was ready to go fishing, then...Here's the kicker, I left work so fast the other night I forgot my wallet which contains my fishing license. I realized this before I went but, my wife found out and said no license no fishin no fine$. We went to a friends private pond so I could finally get some time in my new homemade shanty.

Here's some pics from the Private Pond. The Lm was released.

Please Click on Thumbnail Img. for Fullsize. Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Catfish through the ice? Now I've seen everything....lol
    Nice shanty!!!

8. Yeah Catfish through the Ice. I wouldn't have thought so either especially on my whippy ice rod. Them things don't fight like they do in the hot summer.