close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saltfork Dam leak

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fffffish, Feb 23, 2005.

1. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

I heard rumors that the dam has a leak at its base and is loosing about 75,000 to 85,000 gallons of water a day. There was suppose to be a newspaper article on it in a local paper and they are working to get it repaired now. Have any of you down there heard anything or been down there to check it out. Let us know what is going on.

2. As far as I know Salt Fork has been springing leaks since 1980 when I lived there. They seem to get twice the rain as everybody else.

3. Not a real big deal. Leaks can't be fixed, they can just keep it from eroding a bigger hole, which is what they're doing.

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

general leaks in the earthen dams are pretty common aren't they??? I know I have heard so many times that such and such dam is leaking. I even heard that there was a crack in Tappan dam before :confused: How can you have a crack in dirt? I am befuddled! :p

5. I've heard that as long as the water is clear it's not washing the dirt out off the dam wall. Which makes sences. So no use in worring. I've been whachin' Salt Fork for years. And I'm still fishin'. If any one would like to do some river saugeye fishin' let me no. Lost my fishin' partener to boot camp.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Hey Rainmaker, where you from??? What river are you talking about?? I fish Salt Fork and a couple spots on the Will's Creek. I am sure we can meet up sometime and hit some water somewhere! Get back to me

7. huh?
    clear water at salt fork?

check out all the structures( buildings, roads, and bridges) that have been uncovered since the draw down.............

residents from a nursing home in that area have been moved as a safety precaution...................

have you ever read about the johnstown pa flood? it was an earthen dam..... it makes you wonder....................

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

just a precaution? if there is no real threat then why move them? I don't see why they would move the old folks but not the rest of the residents......they would not be able to get out fast enough either just in case

9. I talked to the fine people at Ohio Outdoors, a pretty impressive tackle shop by the way and they told me that the fishing was better now than it has ever been. Also it is the worst published about the lake. They told me that every newspaper has a completly different view about this. Leave it to the newspapers to screw it up. I was there on Saturday just noseing around and there were hardly any boats at all there.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

are you talking about the tackle shop at Salt Fork? I think you mean Salt Fork Outdoors if so :)

11. Rockbass, My bad, I have only been there once but you do get the point about the media, right?

12. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yeah I get the point about the media.......you only get half the truth half the time.

13. JCS

JCS Member

hmmmmmmmm the media screwing everything up and half truths........sound familiar. and a few of the boils are wasing up dirty water. but the fishing is still good.

jcs

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I have got it on some really good insider information that they are looking into the problem and will have it corrected when complete, and not one day sooner.

15. Wow, that sounds like a concrete statement right from the media!! It gets no better than that!!

16. any idea if it is possible to launch a 16 ft deep v fishing boat at salt fork or who i might call to find out
    ________
    OUTDOOR TUBE

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  17. The ramp at the cabins and at Salt Fork Marina are the only two usable right now. Just make sure you have the power to pull the boat out. With the water down the ramps are very steep.

18. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yeah I would imagine the power and the traction :eek:

19. wonder if there letting any water out again???? went last Fri and the tube was dry :mad: