close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salt Water Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I notice that a lot of people in here have fish aquariums at home. I also have a 55 gallon tank that I had 5 piranhas in for a long time. Due to a recent move I decided to give them away instead of keeping them.

Now I am settled down and would like to set this tank back up. In my mind I am considering going for a salt water tank. I have seen some tanks and I think that the ability to keep things like clams and sea horses along with some brilliantly colored fish is appealing to me. My only problem is that I have no clue on doing a salt water tank. I know that they are much more work, but I think I am ready to try.

My question, can anyone give me a rough estimate of what I will need. How to set this up right. I will take any advice or comments on what you guys think of this. I am sure someone has a saltwater setup or has tried at some time.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a large canister filter.

Thanks guys.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

my first suggestion to you is.. read all that you can about it.. and check out this site for all things saltwater..join in the discussions and ask away..lots of knowledgable people there..
    www.reefcentral.com
    have fun and happy reefing..

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

my second suggestion would be to use the canister filter only when you need it.. for example, to clear the particulate in the water using fiber..or to circulate the water while you are cleaning the tank.. and use a 10gallon as a sump tank to house all your gadgets..ie. skimmers and such
    if i remember correctly, you are in the NW ohio.. i would strongly suggest you to goto tropicorium in MI for your livestocks and rocks/substrate..checkout his weird hours at www.tropicorium.com .. Dick Perrins knows his stuff, and his stock speaks for itself.. you really need to go there to see what he have, as the internet does no justice.. i can easily spend several hours there in a weekend...

4. Thanks for the info, I have been trying to read up on it, but some of it is gibberish to me. I will check out the sites you listed, thanks.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Your best bet is to find a fish store that has a lot of Salt Water species and people working there whom are experts. They will help you out a ton. There is a place down here called "Just about fish" and they know their stuff!