Salt Fork tips for next week

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KingAceClub, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Heading to Salt Fork next week for our annual camping & fishing trip. Will be targeting muskie, bass and crappie. Fish alot in N'east OH, but this is the only time I fish Salt Fork each year. So I was hoping to get some reports of fishing conditions and what has been working well. We will be stopping at Salt Fork Outdoors on our way down to get the latest info. Any help would be appreciated.

2. I'd suggest a couple stick of dynamite and some waterproof fuses.

My luck the last couple of years (for bass) has been horrendous......which is one of the reasons we sold our camper down there this spring and haven't looked back.

good luck.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

That is the absolute best thing you can do. Those guys that run that bait shop are top-notch and were more than willing to give me and my dad some pointers even though we've never been there before. Check out the Lake Reports and the message boards on their website HERE.

We have gone twice in about the last month, and did alright both times for it being the first 2 times I've ever seen the lake. Caught a decent LM Bass about a month ago. Other than that decent fish, we have caught a couple 14" Crappie along with multiple 8-10" crappie.

The bass was caught on a silver 1/4oz spinnerbait. I had been throwing my favorite size for about 40 minutes (1/2oz White) and was getting short-striked and followed to the boat by muskies, so I downsized and 5 minutes later landed that nice bass. The Crappie were caught while bass fishing with Mepps inline spinners along with the same 1/4oz silver spinnerbait that caught the bass.

4. OSU_Fisherman

Here is a pic of the bass I caught out of there on 5-4-08.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nice pics of your bass. We did real well last year with crappie and pretty decent with bass. This year would love to get into some 'eyes and musky.

6. Heading down to Salt Fork on Wed and was hoping to get some updates (water conditions, temp, success stories) from anglers who were there this past weekend. Trying to develop a game plan before hitting the water.

7. OSU_Fisherman

I was there yesterday and the water is up, but not too much. I would imagine by Wednesday it will be about normal, or at least within a foot or so.

Water was more stained than normal and had a slight green tint to it. Still, the visibility was somewhere near 2'. Visibility and color are much better up near the Old Stone House.

I launched at the dam and ran clear up around to the Old Stone House... didn't see a single piece of floating debris. Although, there were dead crappie all over the place. Strangely enough, each and every one of them was about 5" long.

Unfortunately, we did not have any luck yesterday. We targetted LM Bass from 5pm until 9pm then Musky by the dam until 9:45... nothing. Water temp when we got there was 81.5* so we were casting every bit of shade we could find.
    We figured that the bass were done spawning so we were casting the first drop off with crankbaits and the banks with spinnerbaits. We even found several shady patches that reached the first drop, and still nothing.
    We went into the marina (by the golf course) and flipped plastics under a bunch of docks, but nothing there either. Moved on to flip some cover, still nothing.

There has got to be something that is working right now, but we did not find it. Probably because we only Bass fished for 4 hours. We also didn't have a very good map with us that had contours on it, but I will next time I go.

Wish I could give you some information on Crappie, but we didn't target them at all. Stop in there at Salt Fork Outdoors and they'll point you in the right direction. They mentioned to me that the area past the covered bridge was producing, but we didn't try it.

I'm really hoping to head over there Thursday, so let us know how you do!

8. We are heading there wed. I sure hope the wether is nice there this week. What is ever one boat look like thats going to be there this week? I have red and silver Stratos.

9. When the weather was hot like it's been - I've always had good luck throwing rubber worms - red shad color. I've caught plenty around the cabins and when you first come into the cove from the speed zone heading to the stone house - there's that rocky shore to your left.......well this water drops from 1' to like 20' real quick. i've even caught several NICE saugeyes on these same rubber worms while bass fishing........

just gotta fish S-L-O-W........

10. I want to thank everyone for their tips and recommendations. We're heading down Wed and the weather report is for hot temps and no rain until probably Sat. We'll be fishing out of an 18' black/white Crestliner Sportfish, so give a shout if you see us. Take care and keep your lines wet!