Salt Fork -- Memorial Day Weekend?

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OSU_Fisherman, May 21, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Since this is my first season fishing with a big enough boat to hit these big bodies of water... I wanted your input on how crazy Salt Fork gets on Memorial Day Weekend.

I was thinking of hitting it Sunday and Monday with my dad. Last time we went (1st time on Salt Fork) it was a blast, so we wanted to hit it again. There is quite a bit of the lake we didn't get to see.

I'll be launching an 18' Ranger w/ a 150 on it. Are all the ramps OK to launch this kind of boat from? We stopped in a Salt Fork outdoors and were told not to launch at the County Road 831 ramp (northwest) so we launched at the dam. I should mention that I'll be coming from New Concord, so maybe going clear around the lake isn't worth it. Thoughts?

2. I don’t know to much about the ramps there. The weather is going to be nice all weekend but the water temp is still in the 60’s I hope that will keep a few jet skis and water skiers on the bank. Should be a good weekend for fishing. I will be a little south of you at Seneca lake.
    I remember my first few times out with a new bigger boat and motor it’s hard to stay off the throttle and to keep the smile off your face. With gas upwards of 4.00 a gallon looks like I will be spending a lot of time at cruising speed on the lake. 30 mph is a good speed I’m in no hurry . Good luck and give us a post on how your weekend goes .

3. OSU_Fisherman

I know what you mean about the speed! Fortunately, my normal speed will be somewhere around 40mph I think. Anything above that, and it decides to lose power and bog down. It still isn't getting enough gas for some reason...I've replaced just about everything in that fuel system haha.

I have a few spots picked out from the topo map that should be amazing this weekend if the weather stays consistant. A couple of them are not too obvious, so I'm hoping that they're not overfished. You can bet there will be a report sometime Tuesday if I'm not too busy.

4. Not sure what is causing your problem. Sounds like a fuel problem did you check your fuel lines for kinks ? At 40 MPH how many RPM are you turning? And what size prop to you have? If you have Carburetors
    Maybe they need synchronized

5. OSU_Fisherman

I just replaced my fuel line assembly (primer bulb and lines from tank to motor) and all the filters have been replaced. Just put new spark plugs in last night and it seemed to help quite a bit.

I'm not sure about the RPM's at 40mph, but I'll check next time out. I'll also have to check on the prop... can't remember off the top of my head.

I did wonder about the carbs... I have 6 of them. I really hope they don't need worked on... it sounds expensive!

6. I've fished salt fork memorial day weekend for the past 4 years - not this year though, we sold our camper.

You should have NO problem putting in at Morning glory ramps - especially in the morning. Water is calm then. I had no problems ever launching my 15' procraft boat.

I would then cruise to one of the many 'fingers' and fish in there all day - the water is always calm back in these areas - due to the no wake zones. I used to spend all day back in by the stone house.

Now getting back to morning glory can be a different story later in the day - with all the skiers and jet ski's out - but again, I never had any problems in my small(er) boat w/ 90hp. I would just be careful of the waves and get back with no problems...........

good luck and have fun!!

7. OSU_Fisherman

I figure the water is still a little cold for a lot of the ski-bums, so it may not be all that bad.

Is there a map online that shows the speed zones? A couple weeks ago was our first time out there and there were so many bouys all over the place that we had no idea which zone we were in at times.

8. if you put in at Morning Glory - that is a speed zone all around the dam, then angled across the lake (where the cabins are) - in there is all no wake.......but from morning glory ramps all the way to the other end of the lake - by the old marina is all speed zone.

Then there's another speed zone from past the cabins (long way winding through there) to the new ramps...........and that's it.

The entire main lake is all speed zone though...........

Here is a map of the lake - PDF form, that you can print out.......

http://www.saltforkoutdoors.com/sflakemap.pdf

Here is a good place to get lake reports from too:

http://www.saltforkoutdoors.com/index.html