close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salt Fork Lake Dam Leaking (Cambridge Area)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sr.Jigger, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Work is still going on to try and stop a leak of 75 gal per minute which is running under the dam. Several new leaks started when tons of stone was layed on first leak trying to stop it. ODNR has engineers watching the progress and constant checking for new leaks being done. Hopes is the dam gates will not have to opened and the lake drained to seal off the breach in the dam.

2. catking

catking Banned

This can get really nasty !!! From somebody that knows a little about dam building ;) anytime water is getting UNDER the dam, is REALLY bad. I don't know who they are kidding, but rocks will not fix that . Drainage is very probable............And that's such a nice lake............ THE CATKING !!!

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Dealt with the same thing on an upground reservoir up here once. Was leaking below the levee. They actually had to drain the reservoir down below the level of the side, and dig it out, reinforce and replace. Was neat to watch.......but killed the fishing for a few years.

4. catking

catking Banned

Yes, once the clay " key " is breached below the actual dam, there isn't jack you can do to fix it except drain and re-dig......... CATKING

5. There's no evidence that the water's coming UNDER the dam. That's just where it's showing up, but it could be coming from anywhere. The stone isn't to stop the leak. It's to stop erosion. These leaks aren't that uncommon, and this isn't the first one. As of now, it's not that big of deal, though some people are trying to make it into one.

6. catking

catking Banned

I see. It may not be coming from under the key of the dam. But still, earthen dams of this size are not made to have water coming from them anywhere. The larger dams constructed of concrete leak all the time , no big deal. But an earthen dam will continue to erode around the leak and even inside the hole itself , thus becoming very unstable. If there is enough water coming out from somewhere from this earthen dam, then I really believe they have a problem . I live by probably 15 lakes and haven't heard of any losing water due to a " leak" . Well, I take that back, one up in Mt Orab ( Grant Lake ) did have a leak and they drained the lake to fix it....... THE CATKING !!! :)

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

If you ever pay any attention to corps of engineers dams, you will notice long pipes sticking up out of the levee in different areas. Mainly at the base of the levee. These are for measurements on these type of things. Typically, if the side of the levee stays dry and it's soppy at the bottom, it's not a problem up top. Even if it leaks halfway through, it has to go down somewhere in the middle, and that weakens the wall. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be living downstream of a dam like that. Man.......they are NUTS for building below the dam at Alum Creek. I mean developments w/in 1/4 mile downstream!!!!

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The Main Street dam on Nimisila Reservoir had a couple of small leaks along Main Street during the '90's. The state kept their eye on it and nothing ever really came from it despite a few people's efforts.
    If the Salt Fork dam is ever in danger of being breeched don't think for a minute the state wouldn't take action to prevent a catastrophe.

9. Yikes! i'd hate to see that nice lake in big trouble. "where can I get some DAM bait?"

10. Ohio currently ranks 5th highest in number of dams in dangerours/critical condition.

If you think about it its only a matter of time before one of these goes, and not by means of removal and upgrade. The rush of dams built in the 30s and again in the 50s to some extent is what most of these lakes we fish on are from. Just exactly how long should we expect these to last. Everything engineered like this has a life expectancy. Nuclear plants are 25 years, so what is a an earthen damn....??? Never really specificed, and really never thought of, its really an omniscient situation. Water pressure, silt erosion all stressing a man made object for 70+ years . . .

11. What I don't understand, is with all the modern technology that is available, Why earthen dams can not be repaired or even be rebuilt with out draining the lake. Why not build a dam beyond the present dam? Why do they always wait till a dam gets in trouble to take some kind of action?

12. Modern technology will never overcome simple physics. I suppose it sounds simple enough, but it's not.

13. or the cost