close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salt Fork 8/5/07

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dmk, Aug 5, 2007.

1. dmk

dmk

My bass club had a tournament out of Morning Glory this A.M.; started at midnight and fished until 8 A.M. Eleven members fished and six (6) fish were weighed in; 5 largemouth and 1 smallmouth. The two (2) biggest were both largemouth weighing 4lb.15oz. and 3lb.2oz.; the smallie weighed 1lb.8oz. My fish (had 7 in boat with 2 keepers) came from out away from the shoreline in the grass (not sure what kind, it was dark). I caught the Smallie and he came off dry land (LOL). If he had been any closer to the shoreline he would have been dry. My son caught 4 with one keeper (2lb.3oz.). We both lost fish including a keeper. I really hate calling a 14&1/2 inch bass a dink. Had to do that a couple of times. Water temp before the rain storm came thru at 6 o'clock this morning was 84.5 degrees and after the storm and cold rain it was 83.7 degree. Most fish, except the smallie, came from water 4 to 8 foot deep and everything was caught on soft plastics. Am happy to report that ALL SIX FISH WEIGHED WERE HEALTHY AND SASSY AND RELEASED ALIVE TO BE CAUGHT AGAIN.

DMK

2. great report!!!good to hear smallies are still there!! some guys say alot of 'em are there!!! just dont bass fish much anymore due to boat style..

3. A lot of the tourneys at Salt fork have been having good results. It has been taking 12-13 lbs.to win the Thursday evening ones, and the weekend ones as well. Last weekend I know of a team on Sunday that made 2 casts and landed one that was 6-2 on one cast and a 5-9 on the next. I would have had the big one right on the spot!!!! It is nice to see some of the Smallmouths still around. We used to be able to go at night and get 10-15 a night, ( always released ) but now-a-days your are lucky if ya gat 2-3 in a whole night.

4. Hey Guys, Nice to see that the smallies are still there. It's been several years since I fished Salt Fork at night. I normally fish soft plastics at night. What techniques seem to be working these days?

5. dmk

dmk

nothing fancy, just plain ole texas rig worm.

dmk

6. We always used black spinnerbaits at night. We would stay a long ways from the bank to fish them. Sometimes we would just fish em straight back,sometimes with pauses, but the best way for me was to slow-roll them and I always used black # 11 frogs on the back of the bait.