close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salt Fork 5-4-08

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OSU_Fisherman, May 5, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Well, I ended up choosing Salt Fork to fish with my dad yesterday, and I am very glad that I did. I ended up catching my largest 'big water' Largemouth Bass to date. By 'big water' I mean a Bass caught in a body of water larger than a couple hundred acres. I just got my Ranger in the off-season, so I've only fished big water around a dozen times so far.

The bass was caught within 45 minutes of being on the water. We got a late start, so I caught this bass around 10:15am. She was in about 3' of water under a log. This girl was FULL of eggs and went 3lbs 7oz. (pic later today)
    She was caught on a 3/8oz Silver spinnerbait, which she hit almost immediately as it hit the water right above her head. I normally use a 1/2oz white spinnerbait any time I'm spinnerbaiting, but the water clarity called for something a little more toned down, so the silver worked well.

My dad also caught a couple halfway decent bass and several nice crappie. His largest crappie was 13.5" long and came on a 1/4oz Black Spinnerbait around stumps.

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the water was there at Salt Fork. Visibility was around 2 feet or more. Water temps were around 60 when we got there at 9:30am and warmed to around 65 by the time we left around 4:00pm.

2. BABS

BABS

Thanks for the info on the lake. I plan on doing some Crappie fishing next weekend.

3. OSU_Fisherman

No Problem. We didn't really try for Crappie, my Dad was just using a smaller profile spinnerbait that they evidently liked at least a little. I did meet a guy and his son on the ramp and they caught some decent numbers of Crappie.

4. OSU_Fisherman

Here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Nice looking fish! I have always wanted to drive over to Salt Fork, just for a change of scenery and some new fishing water.

6. its a very good lake...i live about 30 minutes from there and fish it often.

7. Top notch! Looks like the boat is running good for you finally.

8. OSU_Fisherman

Thanks.
    But no, the boat is still not working correctly. It worked fine when I had my dad lay on the back deck and pump the primer bulb though. Looks like I'll be rebuilding that VRO soon!

9. Hey OSU,
    Before you go through the trouble of doing any rebuilding, I would first try replacing the primer bulb and changing the small rubber o-rings in the gas line. That might cure your problems.

10. OSU_Fisherman

I did buy the primer bulb and fuel line assembly, I just haven't quite had the time to put it on yet. I might have the time today, so I might go ahead and test it later tonight on Griggs unless there is Lightning. I'm really hoping that this, plus a new fuel/water seperator will fix my problems because I really don't want to mess with that VRO.