close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salmonid 1st Flathead

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by H2O Mellon, Aug 26, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Salmoind (Mark), Pengog66 (Nate), and myself went out Thursday night. We had Freash Shad, Suckers, Goldfish & Small Blue Gills. The fishing was slow, Nate had several small runs from 8-8:30PM, I caught one channel cat (about 3 pounds) and Mark caught his first Flathead (about 8 pounds) :) . This was Marks 1st time out fishing for flatheads. Way to go man, it took me 3+ years before I caught my 1st one. Mark got his flathead at 12:30AM (8/26/05) on cut sahd. Like I said the fishign was slow, this spot has potential for mor & larger fish, but when anyone can catch a flathead on their 1st trip, it's always a good night. I'm trying to have Mark quit his Trout Guide service & become a full time catter, but I dont have him convienced just yet. ;)

[​IMG]

2. For the opportunity since it was Pendogs spot and after he left it was all the coaching from Mellon that made this happen! More importantly , I was able to avoid the dreaded "Curse of the Yeti" ( Mellon) by landing about my only hit for the evening, taken on a cut shad since the bluegills I brought didnt stir up any action at all.
    I might add this was taken on ZFISH's equipment he had for sale ( which I bought) so 1 of the two outfits got broken in the right way, now to get the other one brokin in!
    Great fishing with Bryan and Nate and hope to do it again real soon!
    I thought I heard something large and hairy behind us all last night, Im sure it was nothing, just my nerves..... ;)

Salmonid, Large hairy Hominid Hunter

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Wait A minute, since when has Mellon become the teacher and not the pupil?

I think before he is qualified to teach, he has to keep his bait out of the trees! :rolleyes:

4. H2O Mellon

I knew someone would chime in dogging me, but I didnt think it would be my buddy Flatless hunter. :p

Hey Jack, see that fish in the picture? Thats a FLATHEAD CATFISH, some times they are called SHOVELHEADS. I know it's been a while since you;ve seen one, just wanted to make sure you didnt forget what they looked like! :D

You would have been proud of me Jack, I wasnt going to let it get away, I was in the water with the net. You've taught me well. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. flathunter

Bryan, please make sure you fill up your reels with line before next weekend, those trees really take alot of line off.
    :p Or better yet, bring the 7000's I am heading to big cat country.

6. flathunter

Bryan, I see you did not post the pic of you with your channle cat. Whats the deal with all that line wrapped around the fish???? Did you have to pull him thru the trees? :D

[​IMG]

7. H2O Mellon

Look at that big SKEETER. Thats pretty cool.

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Grats on the first flatty :)

9. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

good job mark. I just wish i could of stayed out longer. But im headin out tomorrow night for anyone who wants to go.