close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salmon

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Whaler, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Do any of you Chagrin River fishermen know if there are any Salmon in the river? I was there yesterday and a dead fish floated past me that I swear was a Salmon and not a Steelhead.

2. There are and will be the occasional salmon that shows up coming from most likely Ny waters... I caught them years ago before Ohio ever stocked them now I can't catch anything ;)

3. There's lots of mis-placed salmon in Ohio. Very likely was one from an adjoining state's stocking or one of the Great Lakes west of us. They get confused and go up rivers they are not familiar with. The steelhead were never stocked/imprinted in the Cuyahoga, but they're occasionally caught there all the way to Akron. If the gorge dam wasn't there, they'd get up into Rockwell or LaDue. The fact it was dead is in line with what we used to see a lot of in the Chagrin during Spring when Ohio had a salmon stocking program back in the 70's.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

They catch Kings in the Maumee every winter. You'll see pics of 1 or 2 each year. Along with coho's and the straggler steelie. Wouldn't suprise me any :)

5. There are a few King's caught in the Rocky each year. I hooked one once and lost it. :(

6. Did you really lose it or was it still in the Rocky :confused: ;)

7. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

If that dam was gone, you'd have to build a fish elevator for the steelies/salmon to get over the falls.

8. JV1

JV1

In the 80's the state tried its hand at stocking all sorts of fish, some and most of which they gave up on after poor return results... However in PA streams every now and then a fish from past stockings shows up ...... such as pink salmon etc .... and... the OHIO STATE RECORD pink salmon was caught in conny creek, and a record king was caught trolling off ashtabula ....so they are out there... and when the waters cold you never know where they will turn up

9. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yeah LMNOP, the falls, of which the city of Cuyahoga Falls is named, are flooded by the dam. From what I have read, they are about 20-25 ft tall with numerous large rapids and smaller falls above and below the main falls. Fish would never be able to cross these barriers.

10. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

yeah I know...that's why they would need an elevator to get up and over the falls :) ;)

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

There are lots of salmon and different types of trout in the eastern end of Erie