salmon fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PromiseKeeper, Feb 4, 2008.

1. I'd like to try salmon fishing :B , but know absolutely nothing about it! I know some of you head up to Lake Ontario. For a newbie, should I book a charter the first time? If so, any referrals on who you've used? What kind of gear do I need? What time of year is best? What are water conditons like? I have a 1750 Tyee, is that enough boat? How far out do you catch them? Wow....I guess I had more questions than I thought! Any info is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Scott

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

If you want a charter, (that's the best way to go) try Frank at 'Y-Knot Charters' he is a sponser to this site. He usually pulls out of Erie in early summer and heads to Ontario. I've fished with him and he does a great job. No problem limiting out each time with nice fish. He also has a set up for overnight stay if you need it. One word of caution, DON'T touch the drag adjustment on his reels! Trust me..... More importantly him.:D

3. I would book a charter the first time. That way you can learn that to use and what not. I have taken atleast one fishing chater on lake ontario the last 4 years. I have been going out of the rochester NY. This year I am goin to try another area. The time of year really depends on what you what. The spring is best for smaller fish close to shore near river mouths. Then later in the summer when the thermocline sets up the fish are offshore. Then in the fall river mouths are the place to be. They are kindalike steelhead here in erie. With your boat you should beable to get in on the spring and fall bite no problems. Everytime I have been there the lake is much smoother than eire. The water is very clear from what I have seen. AS far as the gear linecounter reels with flea flicker line and a rod with a lot of give. The flea flicker line is a must as the lake is loaded with spiney water fleas that will stick to you line. Down riggers are a must. Baits will vary but I have had the best luck with spoons, cowbells w/ flies or spinners. The chater I have gone out with the most is called "fishin' Pole charter" out of rochester.

4. I've gone out on charters dozens of times on Lake Ontario. Last year I took my own boat, and it was much more enjoyable. You certainly get a higher sense of accomplishment when you're netting fish in your own boat. On our last day, we were hooking up left and right while the charter captains were crying the blues (surely a freak occurence).

If you've never been up there, you might want to consider getting a charter for the first day or two so you can check out the different techniques, then use your own rig for a couple of days.

My 18 1/2 footer was fine up there. We were fishing in 5-7 foot rollers one day and I wasn't uneasy a bit.

To get the fish, you have to find the right temperatures. On our first day up, we were about 3-5 miles out, fishing in 180 FOW. The next day, we were getting them a mile out in 50 FOW. On our final day, we were 8 miles out in 530 FOW.

5. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

Holy crap, I had no idea...How many feet do you have to let a 0 dipsy out for those depths:D

WoW, that is a long way down, unbelieveable. Guess I need to experience that once in my life time.

TC
    Dave

6. That was the cool part. We were in 530 FOW, but the optimum temps for the fish were only 12-18 feet down. We were running our riggers and Dipsys between 10-20 feet down.

That's the day I got my biggest fish of the trip.

Attached Files:

7. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

Truly awesome. Thanks for sharing. I see a road trip in my future.

:) :B :)

8. It's okay, if you like fish that rip 300 feet of line off your reel in about four seconds.

Attached Files:

9. cw261

cw261 Member

Is it time to go yet? I'm ready!

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

11. If going to Lake O...go in August...or May...

Stay away from June and July...

If you want to go to Lake Michigan...PM me and I'll get you in touch with a couple captains that run good operations.

12. BFG, while what you say is correct in general I have had my best trips the last 3 years in a row fishing mid july, on lake O. There is almost always a deep bite once the water stabilizes and thermals set up offshore. But the fishing in the mid waters, 150-300fow has been great for us the last several years and the boat traffic is much less for me it6 is much more enjoyable than fishing during the derbys and having idiots cut off fish behind your boat because they swoop too close with a screamer on. If fishing in your own rig for the first time I would not suggest mid-late august. I would say mid-late july or early august.

Scott

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

olcottfishing.com provides daily updates on the bite and colors that are going off Olcott. I've fished there the 2nd and 3rd week of August and we caught fish but not a ton of them, most of the guys we talked to said you should have been here the last two weeks.

Salmon fishing is a blast, I'm getting riggers for my boat and I'm taking my rig up there this year on my own, I'm really looking forward to it. Nothing like a screaming King.

14. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Scott as you know we were there in early to mid August and didn't really have any crowds to contend with but I stay away from that in close breakwall traffic when ever I can. There is a lot of water there and I try and find some with no one else in it.:D

I fished out of Ludington in mid August 2 years ago and it boat traffic reminded me of Locust reef on the first Saturday in May, it was a real cluster. There are traffic issues on lake Ontario, no doubt about it, but nothing even remotely close to what I experienced at Ludington

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

It's been three years since I've fished Ontario and two years since Michigan, and I've never fished that far east on lake Ontario.
    Lundy can you tell me what the accomadations are like over that way...I'm making a reservation once you guys firm up your dates (ph. numbers would be nice). ;)

Thanks

16. We stayed at Dollingers Motel. It was about ten miles from the water, but we had everything imaginable within walking distance (Wal Mart, Drug Mart, Burger King, ect).

it was $79/night.

17. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Rodney,

We will hook you up with all of the information when we set the dates. It will be sometime early to mid August.

18. There may be another trip in May/June timeframe. We will post our plans once we figure out what we want to do.

19. Thanks everyone! Sounds like an awesome trip! Now we have to decide when to go! I can' wait to tangle with one of those big rascals!

BFG.... sure! send me the Lake Michigan info. Anyone else been there?

Scott

20. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Thank you gentlemen...!