close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

salmon fishing tips?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ajangsta04, Oct 11, 2007.

1. whats up everyone...

my roommate here asked me if i wanted to go salmon fishing in a couple weeks with him and some of his buddies.
    i agreed to tag along but the problem is i have never caught or attempted to catch salmon. this being my first year fishing i still have a ton to learn.

so i was wondering how i should approach this "salmon fishing" anyone wanna share some techniques or what kind of bait i should use.

i do have a good understanding of catching catfish, bass, trout, crappie, and a good handful of other pan fish.

any tips would be appreciated.

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Might want to talk to some of the fly fishermen, the salmon forum is there is one? Even post in the general chat area. SW Ohio is a long way from any living breathing salmon that I know of :)

3. You are almost too late.

Where are you going, and what type of water are you fishing?

[​IMG]

4. well it's a place up north a guess. i guess they are going to be spawning so there is going to be a herd of the climbinb up some dam from what i hear.

5. Michigan river runs are dwindling down now with lots of dark, oldy-moldy fish but you may start picking up some cohos if your are lucky, they rrun a hair later, another option is stelhead will be starting right now so you may get into some of them. If you head further north like to the Soo rapids, you may run into a better run of fresher fish there.

Like earlier posted, where are you thinking of heading?? Michigan or NY?

I can help you with fly fishing for them while wading but cant help if you are trolling or boat fishing in the big water.

let us know
    Salmonid

6. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

It's really not possible to help you unless you know a little more about what species you are going for and where you will be. The difference between Big Water and River fishing for King and Coho Salmon is like Hubcaps and Horseshoes. It is fairly late for lake fishing in most areas so you're probably going to a stream . I think you're going to have to rely on your roommate to be your "guide" this time out. Hopefully he has the equipment and knowledge needed.

Good luck.

MC

7. yea so i kind of got suckered into having a bet with him on this lol.

from what i hear though i think it will be some sort of river. he said that there are a lot of peopel that come out to this but i've really never heard of such things.

what kind of equipment should i use. i have no experience with fly fishing. i also heard that they are aggressive fighters. prob will use my catfishing equipment? (ugly stick with alpha big water reel and 30lbs testline fireline)

eh it's in a week or two im not sure yet.

8. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Well, if it's in Ohio you have to be going for Steelhead which are just big Rainbow Trout. All the big Salmon do fight like crazy but a big Steelie in Ohio is under 10 pounds so you don't necessarily need that Catfish lumber.
    ODNR stocks these in the Lake Erie tribs. Their advice is here:http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/Fis...tsteelheadtributaries/tabid/6134/Default.aspx

If you're going to Michigan or New York for Kings and you don't have any help then I hope your bet wasn't too big...

MC

9. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!

see my reply on NY fishing in the Central forum.