close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saginaw Bay??

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Papascott, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Anyone on here have any experience with Sag. Bay. I am going north next weekend in search of eyes and ice. I am thinking either sag. or hubbard or possibly anywhere. Any advise or anyone know of any guides in mich?? I have all my own gear, wheeler, sled etc. but a guide to narrow the learing curve for the first day would be sweet.

Scott

2. A few of us went to fish saginaw bay and ended up fishing saginaw river instead, we had some success, caught 5 I think. The bait shop we saw off the highway was a real help. It was about 10 years ago and dont remember the name of it. Anyway we used the big jigging rapalas because of the current in the river which kinda scared me. We fished about 2 hours and then the water started to rise up thru the holes so we got off the ice. They catch alot of fish up there. Good luck and let us know how you do !! :eek:

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

10 years ago?

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

!0 years ago or now they still catch a lot of walleye in the Saginaw river through the ice. The Shiver in the river contest runs for a few weeks. It takes 10 lb plus walleye to even get close to the top paying spots. Some of the favorites spots are at the grainery and behind Hooters.

BUT, There is NO fishable ice on the river or the bay in Saginaw right now that I have heard off as of today Sunday Jan 16th

5. Once frozen, stick with the river. The Bay sucks, even in open water. The area from the grainery to Hooter's has been a community hole forever but fishing can be real tough. The eyes are there just real finicky. I fished there on numerous occasions when the bottom was carpeted with eyes that wouldn't bite. Maybe 1 or 2 fish per day. Try extremes in presentation. For example, a #12 prop tear/w maggot or a #14, 4 oz., 5 inch Swedish Pimple. Both will work for Shiver sized entrants.
    You'll do as well and probably better fishing the western basin. If the ice is good in Saginaw it's going to be good on Erie, usually.