close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sage 3 Wt

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by LFN, May 17, 2008.

1. LFN

LFN

Thinking of getting a Sage TXL Extra-Light 7'10" 3 Wt.
    Don't need it but just for kicks on small streams and ponds. Never used a 3 Wt. and wonder what happens when you hook a 2 pounder?
    Any thoughts?

2. My "go to" rod is a 7'9" 2 wt. I have caught 20+ inch trout on that rod. I am a minimalist by nature. I love light rod fishing. I think you will be pleased. Sage makes a great rod.

Merf

3. As stated by Merf, I also prefer light rods. I fish a 6'6" 2wt & an 8' 3wt & love 'em! I have taken channel cat of 22" & 23" on the 3wt...loads of fun!
    My Sage is a 6 wt & yes, they DO make a great rod.
    Mike

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Go for it! That will be perfect!!
    I have a Sage SLT 0 wt. which the txl has replaced. Awesome rod! I have caught bass ,bluegills, and hundreds of Brookies with laregest being 16 1/2 incher with no problem.

5. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

The main thing you need to be careful with on a smaller weight rod is that you bring the fish in as soon as possible. People have a tendency to play large fish too long on these lower wt rods, which can exhaust the fish beyond the point of being able to recover. The fish will swim away, but die soon. It is one thing if you are going to keep the fish to eat it, but if you practice catch and release, do everything you can to bring it in fast. This is especially true for trout.

6. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Thats right BlueDun. I happened to watch this the other day on the Elk just for simple but dumb stunt of getting a video of it. I always bring them in quick and have been steering away from smaller size tippets which prolongs the fish fight. Mash down barbs is also a good thing to I do this on my bluegill stuff. Although you will lose some but then again the point is lost if trying to get everyone of them in. Enjoying being able persue fish on the fly is the main goal. Although I have a 0wt but it handle fish in far better than a full flex rod.

7. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I fish the zxl 4wt. It is lots of fun and puts the fly right where you want to send. Has enough to push in a wind also. You will love this rod.
    I agree with bluedun and flyfish dog. Summer time warmwater fishing also. it is alot harder for fish to recover in high water temps when over worked. S