Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using Sabiki rigs for perch? If so, can you share which ones and size hooks that work the best for you and your set up. I have a few but looking to get a few more.

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would use wax worm, maggots or very small pieces of worms or fish. Perch have changed their diet over the last few years to more crustaceans and larva then shiners. But they still do eat shiners for sure.

·
716 Posts
There is no reason to switch to a sabiki if you are just gonna put a minnow on it. I have been using the smallest piece of worm that I can pinch off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some Sabiki rigs have too much bling. I stick with crappie rigs with red hooks and minnows. Last couple years, I’ve tried small flies, plastics that mimic small shrimp, packaged grass shrimp, pieces of worms, wax worms, etc. When (if) they are biting, minnows still outperform everything else. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Anyone using Sabiki rigs for perch? If so, can you share which ones and size hooks that work the best for you and your set up. I have a few but looking to get a few more.
I've ordered off ebay in the past had good luck with size 6, glow bead and hoods with glitter similar to these. There's lots of choices, red hooks, gold hooks etc.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabiki-Rigs-Bait-Saltwater-Fishing-Lure-bright-Fish-Skin-String-Hook-6-hooks-set/313149122139?_trkparms=aid=1110009&algo=SPLICE.COMPLISTINGS&ao=1&asc=225073&meid=a2dc09cdaa224fe592d54b8f97a1831a&pid=100008&rk=5&rkt=11&sd=360449248340&itm=313149122139&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=default&brand=Unbranded/Generic&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Less then $10 for 10 ain’t bad

Reactions: ress

·
716 Posts
But are you catching perch on them with just a little piece of crawler on it? Just wondering.
Absolutely! Been fishing one rod in a holder with spreader & whatever minnows are available & “dead sticking” the Sabiki. Well over half have come on the sabiki. Have limited Twice in the last 4 trips. The other 2 trips not so good.....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Absolutely! Been fishing one rod in a holder with spreader & whatever minnows are available & “dead sticking” the Sabiki. Well over half have come on the sabiki. Have limited Twice in the last 4 trips. The other 2 trips not so good.....
That is great to read. Are you fishing out west by the islands?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ordered a #6 rig off of amazon to try at the local reservoir. Me and the wife were trolling worm harnesses and picking up a few perch in one spot so we decided to jig with the sabiki rig. We didn't have sinkers so I cut it up leaving two of the small hooks and tied a 1/4 oz. tube jug on the bottom. I immediately hooked into something big. After a lengthy battle, I pulled in a 32" carp with the tube jig in his tail. They definitely fight harder when hooked in the wrong end!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts