close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rut time

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by TheKing, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Does anyone know the effects of the moon phase on the upcoming rut. Full moon is right about Oct 28th. Does the chase begin on this full moon, or is the week before? What are the rules of thumb here.

2. It's been my experience that peek rut is around the 10th of nov. every year. If I could take one day a year to hunt whitetails it would be the 10th or the 11th. The colder the better. when it's warm it doesn't seem to show up as well. But when its cold it can be crazy. I went through the pope and young records quartely mag. And there were by far more quailfiers shot on nov.8th. than any other day.(This was for last year in Ohio). That fell on a weekend so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I was talking to a taxidermist & he was saying that the big bucks come in almost yearly around the 10th-15th of Nov every year.

4. Yep, you can almost set the watch by it. Sometime in the first week of November the'll start chasing. The young buck a couple weeks earlier.

5. TheKing - usually some chasing begins from a few days prior to this moon and runs for a 10-14 day period. Typically, the better hunting is from a few days after the rutting moon until the bucks are "holed up" with does. You'll know when the majority of bucks are locked up & actually breeding because most of the scrapes will die off; slow down. Most bucks will stay with a "hot" doe for 24-72 hrs and breed her as many times as she'll let him.

In my experience, I've also seen many big mature bucks after the "holed up" period. The remaining number of unbred does is substantially lower and as soon as a buck is "finished" with his honey, he'll be on the road to find another. Since there are fewer out there; he'll have to travel a bit more to find a receptive female.

longbow - November 8th, 2003 was the exact date of the rutting moon (2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox).

And I wanted to add - weather can definately play a role in the breeding cycle, but far too many guys think cold weather triggers breeding activity. This is just not true. I've had some great hunts and seen intense rutting activity in warm weather. I'll also admit I agree that it can help increase rutting activity, but they breed regardless.

6. While I'll never be convinced that the moon has any effect on the rut, I do agree that temperature doesn't have the effect that many think. It does seem to increase deer movement somewhat, but mostly it just increases the amount of daytime movement. Even earlier this week, with the colder temps., the mature bucks were showing up behind the house well before dark. Now that it's warmed back up, they're not there until after dark. Just for arguments sake :D, Nov. 8th last year also happened to be the day in which temps dropped about 30 degrees. And as mentioned, it was the first weekend of the rut. I think it's safe to say that no matter where the full moon falls in a given year, sometime around Nov. 8th, it'll be getting good.

7. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Lets all hope its good for me tomorrow and saturday....I could settle for that!