close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Rut Activity Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by SelfTaught, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Okay okay.... I know it's early but it's right around the corner. Don't know about you guys but I enjoy reading about people's hunts and what's going on where, so figured i would make a thread!

I have seen a lot of fresh nice scrapes lately, few small rubs, and a small buck chasing a doe here recently. Hope this cold spell gets something's in gear. Starting this weekend I'll be in a stand everyday I get a chance, best of luck To all!

2. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1509054087.510887.jpg its going up here in Tuscarawas County. I grunted this one in on Monday morning as the front was coming in. He was chasing does and gave him a couple grunts and came right in to about 5 yards

3. Nice buck squidlips.
    From the looks of his neck, I'd say he's been very active.

4. bobk

bobk

That's a big old mature buck. Congrats.

fastwater likes this.
  5. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Found some early scrapes out pheasant hunting last Saturday. Was out looking for shrooms today and found a major league rub line running diagonal up a hillside. Some big trees rubbed in there.

We're not that far from Halloween which is usually when I look to see things get hot and heavy. Than God the temps have gotten cooler! I hate hunting in hot weather.

OH, and dang nice buck there! Congrats!

crappiedude and 1more like this.
  6. Flathead76

Flathead76 Carp53.65

Saw and past on 8 deer this morning. Three were small bucks. Zero sign of rut activity yet. All were slowly passing through while browsing.

fastwater likes this.
  7. Have walked mine as well as neighbor's property. About 160acres total. Found a few decent rub lines. And the ole standby cedar tree is hit again this year. That tree is every bit of 12" across and over the years, they have just about rubbed it in two.
    Have been seeing a bit more sign here then the last 3-4 yrs.
    Halloween is usually when I see things really take a leap forward also.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Two nehpews

9. .???

10. Shaun69007

Shaun69007 Bag'em and Tag'em

I have known 4 people in the last 3 days that smashed a monster buck. They are out cruising. I think its more weather change that got them moving more than estrus. But this could help with a longer running dumb pattern we all have grown to love.

11. SB2

SB2

Shot this one on Wednesday Evening he was checking and freshing up scrapes. I hunted last Friday (10/20) there wasn't any scrapes or rubs, Wednesday (10/25) when I shot this buck there were about 10 fresh scrapes and a few rubs. Medina County

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  12. bobk

bobk

Congratulations SB2

13. Nice buck SB2.
    Had his twin up in the yard tonight at about 8:30.
    He was sniffing around where a couple does show up about every night.

14. SB2

SB2

Thank you, This actually the 2nd time in 5 years that I have harvested my buck on October 25 (2013 and 2017). Plus I should have harvested another buck the same day 2015 but made a mistake and blew my opportunity. Not saying you guys are wrong about halloween but I normally mark my calendar a couple days earlier. I also have this picture on October 25th 2016 as well, never saw this deer on the hoof.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  15. My goodness!
    That deer looks like he's an axe handle width across the shoulders.

16. Stuck a fine 9point yesterday morning just as those little snowballs were falling.While silently following blood trail through an area we call buck central,I saw around 8 to ten fresh new scrapes and rubs. Stopped for 10 minutes and saw 3 more bucks seeking does.While dressing my buck and waiting on my buddy to come help drag saw 2 more with noses down and moving fast. The rut is on in Medina.

Saugeyefisher and fastwater like this.
  17. Oh yeah it was Oct.28 at 8:45

18. Nice Bucks! I hunted for my first sit yesterday did not see a buck. Doe and Button came thru. Saw a couple scrapes walking in. Have not seen as many deer in my travels the last week which in my opinion means the bucks are in the woods cruising for does. Next 2 weeks should be excellent. Should be a more visable rut than last years mess. Good Luck!

19. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it all starts exactly on Halloween. It's just that, in my experience, early to mid-October are kind of quiet, at least for seeing bucks. The later you get into October, especially if you get some cooler weather, the activity really picks up.

Great deer, congrats! And what a pic! You have to wonder where those bucks go during daylight!

fastwater likes this.
  20. Nice pics and action. Hate to see warmer temps for late in the week and next weekend smh.