close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rust..

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Janus, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Noticed that there is rust on the teeth of the main shaft gear on one of my reels. I fished with it four times. Bought it brand new and am wondering if there is anything I can do. Doesn't affect the performance of the reel. It is an offset gear to gear reel..made by Sage 1201. Mickfly I know I recommended them to you but this is kinda ridiculous. I got caught in the rain the other day but let it dry on a shelf... I have 5 dollar reels that can handle a dunking in the river for 10 minutes and not even flinch. The reel itself is well built except for the gear problem. It has a lifetime warranty but Sage might charge me 40$ to send it in like they do with everything else, have to call, that would be hard to swallow to spend 40$ on a reel that I only fished four times. Is there any product that will stop the rust? or should I not be too concerned? Or is Sage easy to work with on things given the situation? it operates fine and smooth now just all the teeth are rust colored..
    Janus

2. Janus,

Every few trips, I treat my reel mechanism with a few drops of gun oil to prevent water damage. You might be able to clean the rust off with the same oil and a stiff-bristle toothbrush. I don't know if I would use a wire brush on the reel or not.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

3. Well mountain bike chain lube with teflon will outlast mostly anything. I would use a stiff tooth brush and not wire / metal the last thing you want to do it a create a bur edge on the gears.