close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Running tandem baits...

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by MuskieJim, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

I have my own way of doing this, but sometimes I think my breakoffs occur because of my technique. When I do decide to run more than one bait, such as a jig on top, and sacks on the bottom, I usually just tie my jig on as you normally would using an improved clinch, then leave about 1.5' access line after the tie. I then attach my sacks or nymphs to the other end. My question is, I have heard of tying directly to the back of the hook, and the technique described above, but are there any other ways to run tandems????

2. jim,i tie mine off the bend of the hook,never had a steel breakoff.i know some tie it off the eye of the 1st hook.a friend of mind uses 3 way barrel swivel.it works great for him,but for some reason i just get tangled line.

3. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

I tie my dropper right to the shank of the hook. I have my egg sac hooked after the knot on the dropper which hides it. The only problem is sometime when you hook a fish on the fly the egg will hook into the body somewhere and make for a very interesting and hurtful fight for the fish. It can also happen where you hook up a fish on the spawn sac and the dropper hooks into the fish and will let enough slack line to free the spawn sac. It can get crazy with two hooks around a hooked steelie just due to the way they fight and run!

4. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I used to do this with minnows and jigs.
    And I still will do it with flys only, I always had a problem with the extra hook hooking the fish somewhere else, it makes it harder to land, get off, and makes me feel bad. Doesnt seem to happen too much with flys though.

5. Does running a tandem rig affect the presentation of either the jig or sac? (mainly the jig)

6. When I've run tandems in the past, I almost always hooked up on the bottom bait. That tells me that either it affects the action or to keep from snagging the bottom bait, you have to run the top bait out of the strike zone. As you can guess, I only run 1 now. I'd like to find a way to do it effectively though.

I think the fly guys can do it better in the shallow water because their presentation is more horizontal than vertical like float guys.

Joel

7. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

i've tried both tying to the tag end of the main line and off of the bend. I much prefer the latter as i do not experience the line wrapping (defeats the purpose of thin tippet) that i do with the tag end method. have heard some guys say that they think that the line might prohibit a good bite on the first hook if tied off the bend. I have caught plenty of fish with the egg 1st fly and don't see this as much of an issue.....thoughts?

8. JohnnyN

JohnnyN is getting the drift

When I run two baits I usually put a dropper loop in the line, and make my own snelled hooks/jigs with whatever line thickness I am using. It's a little more labor intensive, but you can pre-tie the snells and it helps to get both of your baits at the same level in the strike zone. The loop helps angle the baits away from each other, and I don't get many tangles from it.

Here's a look at how to tie the dropper loop:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/droppe...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

9. JohnnyN

I typically use a dropper loop with a snelled hook/jig when I am running two baits. The loop helps hold the baits apart and at the same level, and you can pre-tie the snells to save time. I've never had any issues with breakoffs, or noticed it affecting the quantity of fish I catch.

Here's a look at how to tie the dropper loop, it's pretty simple:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/droppe...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

10. JohnnyN

Aaaaand I just realized the reason the post didn't show up the first time I hit submit is because a moderator has to approve it first. Sorry for the double post (if the mod doesn't catch and it and both make it through). :p

Edit: not sure whats going on, 2 of my posts didn't show up and this one did? Maybe because a link was in the others? I'm a posting noob...

11. Has anyone had any luck trying to run a small fly behind a spinner or spoon?? I have seen a few times of jigs with a sac to follow.

12. I run tandums combos a lot with the pin. I always run either an egg pattern or a sac first with some sort of smaller fly behind. Prince nymph has been go to for me on the second hook. Some where back in the thread someone said with a tandum you may only be effictivly fishing only one presentation in the strike zone. I do not agree with this. When I run a spawn sac first, this is weighs most in the set up and is what I position just off the bottom. With a small non bead head nymph as the tandum, it just floats behind the sac, thus both are in the strike zone. On a recent weekend, my fish were 50 / 50 split, sac vs dropper nymph. As far as the connection , I use a palomer knot on top for the single hook, leave a decent tag and attach the fly on the end, 10" - 15" back or down from the sac. Not sure other than this has been very productive for me.

13. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

running a wooly bugger or some other kind of streamer behind your spoon/spinner is going to work alot better than a small fly. Steelhead strike small flies because it's easier for them to eat em than dodge em while they rest on the river bed and it's engrained in them from smolting. Never do flies chase minnows through the stream. rather they break free and dead drift in the current hence the dead drift nypmph. I never strip a nypmph i bottom bounce it.

14. I only occasionally fish tandems, but when I do I tie the 'dropper' directly to the shank of the above hook. When I fish a tandem rig I always fish a spawn sac on top followed by some type of small fly. Since I fish with a centerpin I am able to check my float so that both my dropper and above bait are presented at the same depth. Ideally, my egg sac would be where the 'Ultra Micro Swivel' is on the illustration and then my 'dropper' fly would be where the bait is on the illustration. This way the fish are seeing the fly first but are smelling the egg sac...it's my little way of 'cheating' and adding scent to my fly. ;) I catch more fish on my flies fished in this way than I do on the same flies fished alone. The majority of the time I hook up on the fly and not the sac, again because the fish is seeing the fly first.
    [​IMG]

While fishing tandems below a float on a spinning reel your presentation will more closely resemble the illustration below, with your lowest bait/fly being where the fly pictured is and the above bait/fly being where the last split shot pictured is. OR, the presentation could be more vertical with the one bait being directly above the other, particularly in slower current or when your lowest bait/fly outweighs the top one. In the case of the more vertical presentation, it is likely that only your lowest offering will be in the strike zone.
    [​IMG]

John

15. is there anywhere I can find a descritpion of a palomer knot? what about running egg patterns and then a sucker spawn as a trailor? or what are some ideas for tandums? what colors should you run together?

16. The Palomar Knot, super strong and simple to tie. http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com The only thing that I do different which I'd recommend you try is...on the first step, rather than doubling the line over and fitting it through the eye of the hook, instead run line through hook eye singly then loop it back towards the hook eye and run the line back through the other way. To get that loop of line through a small hook's eye you usually end up creasing your line/leader to do so, and creasing the line weakens it (especially on fluorocarbon).

John