run n' gun n the lmr

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Fished Sun AM covering 7 mi of river by road hitting 3 spots to find the target species(wipers/stripers) in 1 hours time,the last one had the action.As I looked down from the high bank into the swirling waters there were fish popping shad off the surface in large splashy rises. My 1st,2nd and 3rd casts were fish on and as I was fighting the last one (not that all were landed...)the sun came around the corner and a bright beam of light pierced the center of the pool and it was nothing but whiteys and a nice sauger after that and they quickly shut off too.
    I give ea spot we stop at 15 min but if there's wipers in they'll hit w/in 3 casts or less.
    I went to 7x's shop to give him the rpt and he apparentl;y took it to heart and cashed in...way to go bro' !!!Glad you got the skunk out w/ multiple fish... and nice ones too!
    I got home from work today to hear a message from both 7x and croc on my answering machine about the good fishing they had at the spot I told them I found the fish in. After thinking it over for,uh,about 15 seconds,I decided ,"I'm going fishing"! It's s'posed to rain like a biblical flood this week so I'd better get my fix and as 7x would say,"I'm glad I did". I got into some nice whiteys,a respectable sauger and a striped bass,my first one, about 7 lbs or so...what a pig! We fished for about an hour in the rain before the fish started to feed at sunset,popping shad off the top in noisy smacks and swirls. The striper smoked off thelength of the pool after it whacked my 4",#2/0 ,shad imitation as it swung across the hard current. I caught up w/ it after running to a better position to fight it and it took off again but I swung the rod low and paralell to the water and pulled hard to turn it before it could catch the current again and it was on it's way in.Croc got a pic,don't know if he can post it. RIver was rising fast as we left,lots of large rough fish in the shallows feeding.
    Can't wait till the river goes back down ad there's a fresh crop of fish in,TC1

2. TC1, you guys got it going on!
    Great report, sounds like they've been on!
    Rain might raise river but they'll still be in there.
    LMJ

3. Run n gun? Man that was a full out sprint trying to keep up with you!:)

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

TC1, you sure found em. One thing about the bite, it sure is amazing how they are turned and turned off so quick. I hit that spot for twenty minutes left, saw some bait swirling so took a slow casual walk back not thinking much was going. You guessed it I was wrong. I think I will start doing the oppisite of what I think is the right decision;).

Tomc, you know the spot if you were with TC1.

Guys the fish are with the bait TC1 one have been staying in close contact as well as crocodile and before the rains came the deal was fast water with a deep swirling pool and bait. THe same type of water not holding bait meant no fish. The fly of choice has been the baitfish, shad or skipjack type streamers, After discussing the aspect of the flies we have been useing size and shape seem to be key factors moreso the color, other than adding some flash. TC1 and Crocodile are strong fisherman with alot of knowledge and fishing with them has been a pleasure. There is pleanty of water with these conditions so seek them out and look for bait. dawn and dusk will be the times inbetween get back to smallies something else.

5. I was wondring do you guys target other species besides the hybrids or is that the main species yall go for.

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I fish everything in the river but look for whats available at given times of the year. For example, carp and gar midsummer, smallies as well all year long and spring and fall run stripies. You can fish numerous species and have alot of fun. As you can tell by some of my post it can be hard untill you get them figured out and then its on. Just take time and effort. s

7. Man carp and gar now theres some good eating.

8. Tall cool one

They don't have to be eating fish to be fun to catch!
    Re: sprinting,I just figured someone young enough to be my son could keep up w/ the ole man ;0)...TC1

9. Hey as long as im catching fish its a good time it coulda been a bunch of bluegill and id a been happy. And remember i have that ankle injury. Dr finally said i might be able to go back to work this thurs, if he doesnt give me light duty work. It was fun, i just had never seen anyone move that quick before, flash gordon would be proud:)

10. Tall cool one

Well, now that it's better I'll have to put your ankle to the test next time we get out ...another run n' gun? TC1

11. Hows about a float?