Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Ruggles reef today with Beacon Ed , did not do to bad , we ended up with 9 walleyes. 2 were 27" 2 were 18" and the rest were between 20 to 23" All were caught between 22 and 26 FOW in a number of different ways. 1 of the bigger ones was drifting/casting a green/chart. harness , 2 were caught trolling a perch color rapala tail dancer ( stright line ) the rest were on a small dipsey 3 setting 75 back with a green/chart. harness

Fun day , oh yea lots of sheep ( some monsters ) a few catfish , one about 8 lbs that hit a spoon I was trolling behind a dipsey ?? A catfish on a spoon ?? I thought I had a very large walleye

Nice day on the lake

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
On a day when they're biting, Erie will give ya just about every species. We got three cats monday, two around 9lbs and one we guesses was around 11-12. Sure was hoping they were eyes as we reeled them in.

Sounds like Ruggles has got some nice fish hangin around. Good job finding them and thanks for the report.

·
Banned
544 Posts
nice report Mister....sure would be nice if the eyes were as aggresive as the sheep, they can fool ya until they reach the boat, damn can they take out some drag....i was curious were u actually working the reef "Ruggles" or basicly 22-26 fow from say Cranberry creek to the V river ?? did u put in Cranberry?

thanks for your info

·
Registered
113 Posts
Big E,
Sounds like a good day on the lake to me! I'll be out of Vermilion sometime this weekend to give that area west of the river a shot again. We didn't try dipsy's at all last weekend, but I might have to dust off some of the little ones and give them a shot. Glad to hear you picked a few up on those Rapala Tail Dancers. I have had some pretty good success with the taildancers for walleyes the last few years. In fact i've had more success with the tail dancers than the reefrunners by far. The taildancers are alot easier to tune. Sunday I forgot my box of taildancers at home, so just ran Reef runners for cranks, picked up one.
Were there many boats working that area? Sunday there was a pretty good amount there for about 4 hours then they dissapeared about the time the walleye started to turn on. I think the boat traffic in that shallow water has alot to do with the bite....especially mix in a little sunshine with that boat traffic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fowltalk, we put in at Cranberry Creek and fished the area from the castle west to about the condos

Lundfish-R-men, there were quite a few boats in the area for a Wed. 3 or 4 charter boat and others , I was not paying much attn. to the boats in the area until I looked around and most were gone , and that's when we caught most of the fish, I think your correct, unless the fish are really on , the traffic can slow them down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts