Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of heading up to to ruggles area tomorrow, has the fishing been good there recently, shallow / deep?
thanks for any info

·
Registered
286 Posts
My wife and I started straight out from Cranberry in 42’ Saturday evening and trolled back towards the lighthouse. Never turned around and had our 12 keepers about 1/2 way there. 1/2 the fish were 16”-17”, but the other 1/2 were nice fish, 19”-23”. All on dipseys with medium spoons, mostly moonshine, 50-80’ back.
If I had it to do over would have run large spoons. You had to check lines every 4-5 minutes or take a chance of drowning a 5” eye. Had one 5”er hit a stinger and when the dipsey (1 setting) tripped he swam over and hit the spoon on a 3 setting. Brought him in with two 4” spoons in his mouth.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Fished that area last week. Found fish from the Cedar Point dump E. To Vermillion. From 34 out to 46’ or so held a massive school. Anything worked, spoons/ Dipseys were easiest. Many colors produced. Bigger fish came off cranks. 2.2 up to 2.8.
We made a run out to the second Vermilion dump and found some out that way in 48’ but the bait wasn’t there. Fishing was slower and the fish weren’t any bigger so we wandered back in to 44’ and fun fished the rest of the day trying to find bigger fish. They were all probably 2nd or third year fish. Handled an unbelievable amount or 16” fish…

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
My wife and I started straight out from Cranberry in 42’ Saturday evening and trolled back towards the lighthouse. Never turned around and had our 12 keepers about 1/2 way there. 1/2 the fish were 16”-17”, but the other 1/2 were nice fish, 19”-23”. All on dipseys with medium spoons, mostly moonshine, 50-80’ back.
If I had it to do over would have run large spoons. You had to check lines every 4-5 minutes or take a chance of drowning a 5” eye. Had one 5”er hit a stinger and when the dipsey (1 setting) tripped he swam over and hit the spoon on a 3 setting. Brought him in with two 4” spoons in his mouth.
I ran all large spoons on one of the Dipseys, no increase in size though… often that helps, not this day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts