Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sadly, another well known name I grew up with disappears. Not overly surprised by the move though, with 4 strokes controlling market share, Covid19 was their way out.:(

·
Banned
72 Posts
Maybe they can help Merc improve their 9.9’s...
I just bought a brand new Merc 9.9 in April. 5 outings, it failed me 3 times! Different issue each time.The last time was just that. Now I was planning on buying an Evinrude instead. Went the cheap route the first time. Main motor is 1989 Evinrude 80hp. Flawless every trip.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Man, thats no good. I've always run Rudes, very little problems, especially on the low HP motors.
Never was a big fan of Mercs, hard starters, however, one of the most reliable motors i ever owned was a Force by Merc. Marine.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I had an 1999 Evinrude Ficht on my Tournament boat. I was in 13th place after day 1 of a PWT event. On day 2 the motor wouldn't start for whatever reason. Had to go back to the tech tent and he worked on it till 1 pm. I got to fish only 1 and 1/2 hours on day 2 and that killed me. Got back out on day 3 and it ran so rough. Still caught my fish on day 3, but day 2 killed me. I had a chance to win that tourney if it wasn't for that pathetic motor.
That very summer Bombardier bought the company. I would never have bought another Evinrude after that total mess.
But that is just me.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I had an 1999 Evinrude Ficht on my Tournament boat. I was in 13th place after day 1 of a PWT event. On day 2 the motor wouldn't start for whatever reason. Had to go back to the tech tent and he worked on it till 1 pm. I got to fish only 1 and 1/2 hours on day 2 and that killed me. Got back out on day 3 and it ran so rough. Still caught my fish on day 3, but day 2 killed me. I had a chance to win that tourney if it wasn't for that pathetic motor.
That very summer Bombardier bought the company. I would never have bought another Evinrude after that total mess.
But that is just me.
Damn. Seems like every brand has its issues. How are the Hondas running lately? Haha

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Sold my 1958 Evinrude about 5 years back. Ran into the guy that bought it a couple weeks ago and he said it is still running flawlessly. Wish I was holding up as well.

Reactions: 2120Tom

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yah, those old Evinrudes and Johnsons would run forever with a little "back-yard" maintenance. Spark, fuel and air is what I learned was needed to keep the old outboard motors running.

The new ones' however, still need the three basic ingredients but also need a certified BRP trained "technician" armed with a plug-in computer program. I own two Etecs, and hopefully that technician will be there.....somewhere.. at a once upon a time Evinrude dealership, when and if at a point in time they're needed.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
Tom,
I know the guy you are looking for in PC area.
Lee's Outboard Motor Service. He's been working on J/Es for 20 years plus has certification in Yamaha, and Mercury I believe? He will make it through with his attention to detail and his positive attitude.
Mark at Outboard Motor Service will also be around for 10 years or so.

Rickerd

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tom,
I know the guy you are looking for in PC area.
Lee's Outboard Motor Service. He's been working on J/Es for 20 years plus has certification in Yamaha, and Mercury I believe? He will make it through with his attention to detail and his positive attitude.
Mark at Outboard Motor Service will also be around for 10 years or so.

Rickerd
Thanks for the heads-up Rickerd. A bit far for me for service, hopefully if needed their will be someone closer.

·
Walleyez Hunter
2,890 Posts
Yah, those old Evinrudes and Johnsons would run forever with a little "back-yard" maintenance. Spark, fuel and air is what I learned was needed to keep the old outboard motors running.

The new ones' however, still need the three basic ingredients but also need a certified BRP trained "technician" armed with a plug-in computer program. I own two Etecs, and hopefully that technician will be there.....somewhere.. at a once upon a time Evinrude dealership, when and if at a point in time they're needed.
I know the guy..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts