close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rubber Nets

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ARGEE, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ANYONE USE EM?I HAVE 1 AND LOST 2 NICE FISH BECAUSE OF EM..COULDNT GET THE FISH UNDER THE NET,,IT HAS A TEND TO FLOAT IN THE WATER..SOMEONE ON HERE TOLD ME TO USE 1 :( ..NO NAMES PLEASE.. :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

2. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have used them and they seem to float on me two. went back to regular net because they are lighter than the rubber and easier to control when you fish alone.

3. I am glad you mentioned that because as my current net begins to wear out I have considered replacing it with a rubber style. I guess I may want to think more about it before doing so. From what I understand the rubber style are supposed to be more fish friendly and scrape less fish scum from the skin. But if you are using the net to net fish headed to the frying pan then I guess it would not matter. However, if you are using on C&R I would be interested to hear suggestions.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

They do make knotless fine mesh nets that work very well. Without the knots you have an easier time getting hooks out and there is less of a chance of injuring the fish. Don't see them too often but you are starting to see more and more of them, these nets are very popular with slamon/trout fisherman, carpers and some big game catfishermen. I normally have to go to a decent tackle shop to find them, like Cabelas or Bass Pro, not sure if Gander or Galyan would have them or not (maybe they can order for you).

You mostly see them in the smaller normal size nets, but every once in awhile you will find them in the Xtra large nets. Most places can order you one as well, I know Cummins does have the material, Buckeye Bob contacted them directly and had them build him a net (specified the handle, the loop, and how deep of a net) and they used their catch and release netting which is pretty much the knotless netting. I also know that another friend of mine got a normal net from Walmart, and then he ordered netting material from jannsnetcraft and he just sewed up his on net. He ordered 1/4" Knotless netting meterial, they may even have a few nets already made with this material.

As for the rubber netting, the biggest complaint I hear about them is they are not deep enough. You get a feisty fish in there and it has the habit of jumping back out, hooking the leader on the loop and snapping the line.

5. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

exactly! I owned a rubber net for one trip. yeah the hooks dont get tangled but the net is very heavy and hard to net a fish with it, they also have no problem flopping out.