Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i saw an article where some organization released 17,000 rubber ducks into the great miami as part of a fundraiser. does anyone know if they were cleaned up, or were they just left to destroy the river? the article didn't mention a cleanup. i don't see how 17,000 rubber ducks could all be cleaned up even if they tried.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don’t know about that particular fundraiser but the ones I’ve seen partition off a channel so the ducks don’t go all over the place. When it’s over, they just scoop ‘em up.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
so i saw an article where some organization released 17,000 rubber ducks into the great miami as part of a fundraiser. does anyone know if they were cleaned up, or were they just left to destroy the river? the article didn't mention a cleanup. i don't see how 17,000 rubber ducks could all be cleaned up even if they tried.
I just got home from working at the taste of Miami valley event downtown. That is where the charity that ran the duck drop was stationed. I was very investigative of this and can say that every duck released was collected just down stream. Usually I would throw a fit over something like this, but the people running it were very responsible people. One of the few things I can honestly say has been done right down at ole riverscape!

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Will also say that I had a very good 30 minute convo with a metro park ranger. Yes I remained civil for anyone who seen my rant about five rivers the other day that got deleted. Funny, we were talking mainly about the abuse of east wood, example being how the lack of limits allows people to take all the crappie they want with zero limits. Told me about a conversation he had with a guy taking over forty craps all under 5" and how the guy swore up and down that taking that many babies home and grinding em up being so small was "good" for the species! Very humorous conversation indeed

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I know of similar events in smaller streams. The hatchery I worked at used to lend nets, waders, baskets, and a jon boat for one put on by the local Lions. That way members could follow them and keep them all moving to the pick up spot. But this was a small stream.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
I actually work for the metro parks part time at riverscape for now and yes it was a slow event not really for sure how that event is normally its my first year with the parks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Last year it was balls to the walls. I think a lot of people got put off by yesterdays weather. Perfect event weather today though. I just hope I have enough energy to get up and sein some chubs in the am. Speaking of which, I'm hittin the hay. Proper hook sets to all!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The duck races have been going on for many years on the GMR...and they are very good about always gettin them cleaned out picked up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts