close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RRP Bassin Action..............

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by smalliehunter, Jul 21, 2004.

1. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Well, the RRP hit the local river last night and had excellent results. Now nothing compared to the 57 smallies some pushing 4lbs over a 3 hour time span in a 1/4 mile stretch of barley moving water that a fellow OGF member experienced recently.......... :confused: , but it was good stuff.

Myself and Tharris hit the water about 6-615 pm........ throwing our favorite smallie lure... the water was low, but moving and somewhat stained but we had a good feeling. This year to say the least has been dismal for the smallie action for the RRP, so we were hoping to bust out. About 40 mins into our venture Tharris sets into a nice large mouth that jumped, shook its head and threw the lure right at his feet......... now we (The RRP) have strict rules on what a catch is or is not..... but with the way the river wading fishing has gone this year, we have relaxed on the rules somewhat...... so this was a catch........... we move on down river and Tharris lays into a nother fish, a nice smallie this time........again the fish jumps and throws the lure....... another catch........ bam, Tharris hits another smallie, same thing...... throws the lure......, and again not more then 10 mins later the same thing happens to him again!!!!!!! :eek: Meanwhile i am trying to get my lure untangled from a line that some catman/carpman used and lost.......this line had to be 50lb test............ lord!!!!!!! So we move on down the river to hit our favorite pools........... each pool is fed by a nice current dump with nice rock and sand bar humps throughout............ we switch to our "money lures" and not more then 15 mins into it......... WHAM ....... Tharris lands another nice smallie............ I am thinking to myself.... what the heck man....... must not be holding my face right or something........ as i have not even got a nibble...... Then........... all He$$ breaks loose............ i cast towards a grass line..........look to my right to watch Tharris work his lure and "SAAALAAAAMMMM" something nails me........ almost took my pole out of my hand.......caused a huge wake......... but no hook up.......... man was i bummed.......... Now.... Tharris misses one as well in the current dump........ and then........ i cas towards a rock pile........... BAM....... FISH ON!!!!!! Great fight.......... lands me a nice smallie......... pushing 21 inches and about 2-2.5 lbs............ 5 mins later...........BAM another nice fish this time a large mouth......maybe 1.5 lbs.............and then.......... WHAMO........... another fish........ a real nice large mouth pushing about 2 -2.5 lbs........ all in all a great night on the river for the RRP compared to this years results so far.....tonight was the first night we have witnessed top water feeding, where the minnows were just getting hammered......... TONS of crawdads everywhere, but the minnow feeding had been non existent......... sorry no pics to share, but we promise to bring the camera along next time!! :D

2. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

Nice write up my friend! Next time we need to get some pics for sure. I guess we were just so surprised to actually be catching them for a change that we forgot. :confused:

Now if we can just figure out how to up our catch rate to the previously reported 19 per hour in a 400 yard stretch of river we'd be in good shape... oh, and get the size up to 4+ lbs :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

3. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

We must be doing something really really wrong.......... not sure how to up the catch to 19 an hour, and boost the poundage up to 4lbs+......... nothing short of electro-shocking the area we fish i guess....... :confused: ;) :p :eek:

4. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! feels as if some of this BS is directed towards myself :D Hey, if ya can't avrage 4+ pounds.get out of the river :D Sounds like you guys did great !!! The river is muddy now, as we got alot of rain last night. Good for you guys . It's about time !!! ........... THE CATKING !!!

5. THarris

Been a slow year for us thus far as you know... And I can assure DA KING that none of the BS in this thread was directed towards him! The 4 lb reference was a mere coincidence -- we were referring to a post by a fellow OGFer who caught FIFTY SEVEN river smallies in 3 hours! :eek: Everyone would have to agree that such a feat is truly amazing... The RRP was quite happy getting around 10, combined, in the same time span!

That definitely was some rain last night... Gonna be a little while before the rivers are back in shape!

6. catking

catking Banned

57 as in the steak sauce... :eek: That is of KING size accomplishment :D Anyway, I have to look for this thread. I've missed it......... C.K. :cool:

7. THarris

8. catking

catking Banned

Thank Ya Kindly Mr. T :cool: ...........I viewed said thread....... CATKING ;)

9. My three pound smallie doesn't seem so big anymore.... :(

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

woow..one of these days the rat pack will have to show me how its done..i need a few refresher course in river wadin'..
    great post!!..