Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of Rocky River this morning about 8:00 saw a net boat just past first bouy, about 40 FOW. 1 large boat with 1 smaller boat with a large flock of seagulls around them, saw their red flags and marker balls so we stayed clear, while in the same area we caught many 5 to 11 inch walleye. Hope those seagulls weren't feasting on dead juvenile walleye being culled, we could smell the fish while in that area.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last time they were in town I took a run out to see what the commotion was about with all the seagulls. It was amazing how many small fish were floating belly up. I hope they are not killing the future of this great fishery. It would be worth it to take a few minutes out of your day to witness the pulling of the nets for yourself from a safe/respectful distance.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
no more walleye trawlers but these are gill nets set for white bass. see the nets at Geneve all the time. they run north to south. didn't dee the buoys a few yrs ago until it was too late, lost a downrigger ball to the net.
the gill nets do not choose which fish to kill.
anny size net work as gill net,the fish fight the net swiming in to that and when her head fit in the net mash she can not come out she is stuck with gills,then the comercial fisherman come and relese unwanted catch Harmles fish and she start floating.he did nothing wrong he did not harvest unwanted fish.

·
Registered
206 Posts
While gill nets are used in Ontario, they were outlawed in Ohio decades ago. The only commercial gear allowed in Ohio waters of Lake Erie are trap nets and shore seines. They cannot keep walleyes, but they target yellow perch, white bass and white perch in that area. The yellow perch come with an annual maximum poundage limit for each commercial license.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
While gill nets are used in Ontario, they were outlawed in Ohio decades ago. The only commercial gear allowed in Ohio waters of Lake Erie are trap nets and shore seines. They cannot keep walleyes, but they target yellow perch, white bass and white perch in that area. The yellow perch come with an annual maximum poundage limit for each commercial license.
trap nets has mash on the wings and the trap.
when the fish stick head in the mash of wing or trap net she is stuck with gills in the neting and can not get out,she is kiled same way as in gill net.
you can stop by when he is bringing the trap net out,all the wings 50' long or longer are loded with dead fish,head stuck in the mash.he take baisboll bat and relesing the fish from wings beeting the net.you have few thousand fish floating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why not just realize that commercial fishing has occurred on every large body of water since before any of us were born, and that it is a smart use of the resources? Further, if Ohio quits fishing, that just leaves more poundage quota for the other states or Canada to take. Not to mention that the Canadians will also have the jobs that the fishery supports here in Ohio. How about we leave the science to the people who do it professionally and trust they can manage it for all of us.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
it would be same like when they were managing Blue Pike in Lake erie.
what would be beter ad 100 boats cherters or more ,wil provide more jobs then comercial fishing,and that is our charter and sportsman quota,not to be transfered enywere.increasing nomber off perch will increase more charters.
comercial fishing destroid all world fishing,Canada lakes were wiped out,like east coast,and all great lakes.
managing with scientists decision ,not politicians,money decision.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Why not just realize that commercial fishing has occurred on every large body of water since before any of us were born, and that it is a smart use of the resources? Further, if Ohio quits fishing, that just leaves more poundage quota for the other states or Canada to take. Not to mention that the Canadians will also have the jobs that the fishery supports here in Ohio. How about we leave the science to the people who do it professionally and trust they can manage it for all of us.
l
Wish I could
I really wish I could

·
Registered
120 Posts
Issue- Netters allowed to camp out in one location for years on end locally depleting target species not to mention bycatch left floating, not recorded or utilized affecting the future of this great fishery. Trap nets are a good concept, need to work on industry wide best practices to mitigate negative impacts.
I'm out..............

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
You know it is funny, I have been going up to Erie since 1994 with my own boat, and I have been on and off this site since about then. A post like this always comes up about the Netters ruining the fishery. Perch hatches in the Western Basin was a record in 2014, and 2018, Eastern Basin not so much. We have an estimated 120 million walleye in the lake today. And they are expecting 150 million walleye for 2021. All I can say is Wow! The netters have a right to earn a living, just like the rest of us. I know it looks awful out there at times, and I don't like having to fish around the nets either, because I never spot the [email protected]$ things until I am almost in them. Most of them are fishing for White Bass, White Perch, and Sheephead. Let's hope that they catch as many of those as possible. I say we give em a break, and concentrate on cleaning up the lake, catching the poachers, getting thru the Covid. We are extremly lucky to have an DNR that does an awesome job with our fishry in Ohio. We have a great Musky, Saugeye, and Bass fishing in the state. Just my .02.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,691 Posts
Issue- Netters allowed to camp out in one location for years on end locally depleting target species not to mention bycatch left floating, not recorded or utilized affecting the future of this great fishery. Trap nets are a good concept, need to work on industry wide best practices to mitigate negative impacts.
I'm out..............
Agreed the nets need to be moved to stop huge # drops in a area it wouldn't hurt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts