close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rotten Transom

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Angler Ron, May 24, 2005.

1. My 29 year old fiberglass boat has a transom that is starting to rot. :mad: Can anyone suggest a facility that would give an estimate on fixing it and are reliable. :)
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. Can't tell you where to get it fixed, but do not run the boat in that condition.

A friend of mine didn't know his transom had dry rotted.....hit a stump and up came the motor into the boat.

The prop cut him up pretty bad.....he was air cared to the hospital and took about two months to recover.

This was a pouplar brand of boat and he later settled for a decent sum of money, but almost lost his life in the process.

Just for folks information......FOX out!

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Ron, several years ago I had one doing that and I made two alum. plates the entire size of the transom (1 for inside and 1 for outside) bolted them on the transom, (sandwiched) them and used it for several more years. Not sure how muck rotting you have but if it's only the top area this should work for you too. If you get up this way give me a shout and I can take a look at it and help you decide if that would work.

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

Ther is a place in Dublin near Post Road and SR 33 called All-Fiberglass and Marine.
    The address is 6611 Liggett Road and the Phone is 614-760-9000. I took my small boat there for an estimate and saw some work they have done. It didn't look too bad.

6. I appreciate the responses I got on my transom question. I will now find some time to go and talk with the people and also read more on the link for the transomrepair.com link. I really appreciate all the help. :)
    Ron