Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel Yellow Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Hand Auto part Fashion accessory Wheel Any help would be appreciated. We went out yesterday for the 1st time with all our new gear trying to figure this thing out. I have a few questions. I'm using 8ft Okuma Rod & Reel with 20lb Power Pro braid 100 back with Off Shore Planers and P10's. I bought the "better clip" (see attachment) I was told. We caught 6 walleye and only 1 of them (7lber) broke the line lose from the black clip on the planer board. Is this normal or am I suppose to snap the line to break the line lose from the black clip once I have a fish on? Should I set my drag so lose that with any pull I'll hear the drag? Also, why is there a flag on the back of these boards. I don't see how you would use it.

I ran 1 rod with a Dispey Diver and night crawler harness. We caught 1 walleye on this setup and honestly I didn't even know I had a fish. I was just reeling it in to check the bait. With Dipsey Divers bending the rod in half to begin with how do you know when you have a hook up? My guess is setting the drag a click tight enough. Also, when I caught a fish the Dipsey Diver did not unsnap. Should I loosen the screw to make it easier to unsnap? Any help or additional points would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I don't run small boards, so I can't help you there. For the dipsy, use a fish scale and set it to release at 2 lbs of pressure. That's a starting point. Different people have different opinions, but I like my dipsy to release when there is a fish on. Others do not. There are also small clip on bells you can put on the tip of your rod to alert you to a fish.

But when you see the rod jerking on the holder, that's a good sign:)

But seriously, invite an experienced fisherman to go with you or look for an open seat, or book a small boat charter. That will help you out tremendously.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
In regards to Offfshore boards, I used them alot. You would snap your line into the black clip and it should always stay snapped on that black clip, or else you would not be able to bring your planar board back in. You then also snap your line into the red clip (but make sure you leave some slack between the black and red clip). Once a fish hits the line, it will pulled back and the red clip will also pull back the flag, which indicates you have a fish on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
View attachment 359649 View attachment 359653 View attachment 359655 Any help would be appreciated. We went out yesterday for the 1st time with all our new gear trying to figure this thing out. I have a few questions. I'm using 8ft Okuma Rod & Reel with 20lb Power Pro braid 100 back with Off Shore Planers and P10's. I bought the "better clip" (see attachment) I was told. We caught 6 walleye and only 1 of them (7lber) broke the line lose from the black clip on the planer board. Is this normal or am I suppose to snap the line to break the line lose from the black clip once I have a fish on? Should I set my drag so lose that with any pull I'll hear the drag? Also, why is there a flag on the back of these boards. I don't see how you would use it.

I ran 1 rod with a Dispey Diver and night crawler harness. We caught 1 walleye on this setup and honestly I didn't even know I had a fish. I was just reeling it in to check the bait. With Dipsey Divers bending the rod in half to begin with how do you know when you have a hook up? My guess is setting the drag a click tight enough. Also, when I caught a fish the Dipsey Diver did not unsnap. Should I loosen the screw to make it easier to unsnap? Any help or additional points would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
You need a tattle tale flag kit for the flag to be used.It is not a necessity but they can be nice if adjusted correctly.

·
ol' pal Steve
1,324 Posts
There's another old thread on here about simple ways to rig a tattle tale flag. Personally, I use the flags with a small led light that is extremely bright so I can see them at night, but I am seriously considering upgrading to tattle tale for all the reasons I have heard. I have only been trolling for a few years and I am still learning new stuff all the time, this forum is exceptional about providing reliable information in a friendly environment. I will put a link to the other thread I mentioned in another post.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You have the pro release on your board. I’m not sure how it works,but with the orange clips on the board and the line twisted between clips, when a fish gets on you give a tug on the rod and it should pull the line out of orange clip so that you fight the fish not the board. It doesn’t always work. Stick with your pro releases they are a little easier on the fingers. The flag on yout board is a stationery one, and I believe it just helps you to see your boards better. I give it a thumbs up, as for the tattle flags I don’t care for them on Lake Erie they half way down the majority of the time I’m using them. So I’d say they’re a waste especially in rougher water. As for your dipsy, I’d suggest being new to them use braided line so you don’t lose them. More experienced guys may think differently, but I’m fairly new to everything as well, and I lost a few using mono and that’s gets expensive after awhile. As for deploying and bites guys say to use the clicker and drag on the reel, and to an extent I agree, but that clicker gets a little annoying after awhile. For the bites I just watch the rod tip as stated above you’ll know by the reaction of the rod when it’s just the dipsy I’d say it’s more of a pull as opposed to a bite/fish more of a bounce. When you can’t get it to release give it a tug and it should pop the release if not adjust your tension. I actually prefer using dipsies over boards, less hassle. This is what I’ve learned in the past five years,and many other things from this site. Good people here. Good luck.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow I thought the red clip was suppose to stay onto the line and the black clip was suppose to come off when you have a fish. Am I wrong? Red clip has a tooth you can put the line behind so it can't come off so I assumed it was meant to stay on the line.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow I thought the red clip was suppose to stay onto the line and the black clip was suppose to come off when you have a fish. Am I wrong? Red clip has a tooth you can put the line behind so it can't come off so I assumed it was meant to stay on the line.
You are correct.However the line does not release well with the big flip clip you have.Off shore makes a smaller orange clip that works well for releasing the line from the front clip to clear boards and bring fish in without fighting the board.The orange clips will not work with braid for releasing purposes.Braid must be wrapped.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should also write your name address, and phone number on the back of your board with a permanent marker. That way if you loose it out in the lake, you might get it back.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Great Idea. The 1st time I put a dipsey out....she gone! Not getting it back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A few tips for you about your setup. For board rods most people use mono. I use 12lb Berkley big game. The length of your leads change depending on the lure you’re using and the depth of the fish. Precision trolling app is what most people use for that. With regards to the clips, some people like to have the line come out of the back clip, but I don’t like when it does that. I feel like I have more control over the fish when it’s coming in if the board is running normal with the line in both clips. I would suggest putting tattle flags on your boards. They’re very helpful to detect junk fish and small walleye. You definitely want them when running harnesses. I keep my drags set pretty tight on my board rods. There’s a ton of stretch in big game line so a tighter drag doesn’t hurt. I like to reel down on the fish some times before I take the rod out of the rod holder and I can’t do that with loose drags.

For dipsys, I set the tension just tight enough that the fish and the wave surge won’t trip the dipsy. Some people like to have the fish trip the dipsy, but I don’t like when they do that. In my opinion I get a better hookset with the tension of the untripped dipsy. I seem to lose less fish this way. When it trips it seems to slack a little and I’ll lose more fish. I run 30lb hi viz power pro for line. I keep the drags just tight enough on my dipsys that surge won’t pull any line out. There’s no stretch in the line so if you get something big on there you don’t want your drag buried. If you watch your rod, you’ll see the fish hit. It’s easier if you have 2 rods on a side. If you miss the hit and have one hanging, you will see that one looks different than the other. Popping the dipsy is really easy but it takes a minute for beginners to learn. I kind of do a quick but gentle sweeping hookset. If the tension is set right it’ll pop. I don’t jerk it or pop it or anything like that. There’s no stretch and popping it just rips hooks out and loses fish.

I have always suggested to beginners that they do a small boat educational charter. There are a bunch of guys that run them. It shortens the learning curve for both fishing and buying gear and saves way more money than it costs in the long run.

·
6 LB 4 OZ smallmouth
156 Posts
lots of great info by some knowledgeable fisherman for sure. I would also suggest going on youtube . you will find at least 6 videos that will be helpful to you . I am a visual learner . 10 people here the same info & interpret it 10 different ways. the videos will put you in the boat with pros without all the costs involved. but having said all that i learned first hand on small boat charters from some top of the line Erie fisherman.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A dipsey tip if you’re new to running them is to go out when it is calm out.
It will teach your eye how the bend in the rod is with just the dipsey on and with a fish on.
It is A LOT easier to see the hit on a dipsey when it is calm out and the rods aren’t moving as much as they will be in waves and with boat surge.
As far as tension on the dipsey release, we want the dipsey to not trip on a hit.
We want to see the hit then take it out of the rod holder and trip it ourselves.
As your trolling speed increases you will have to adjust the dipsey release a little tighter to reduce false tripping.
Practice with them and you will get good quick.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few tips for you about your setup. For board rods most people use mono. I use 12lb Berkley big game. The length of your leads change depending on the lure you’re using and the depth of the fish. Precision trolling app is what most people use for that. With regards to the clips, some people like to have the line come out of the back clip, but I don’t like when it does that. I feel like I have more control over the fish when it’s coming in if the board is running normal with the line in both clips. I would suggest putting tattle flags on your boards. They’re very helpful to detect junk fish and small walleye. You definitely want them when running harnesses. I keep my drags set pretty tight on my board rods. There’s a ton of stretch in big game line so a tighter drag doesn’t hurt. I like to reel down on the fish some times before I take the rod out of the rod holder and I can’t do that with loose drags.

For dipsys, I set the tension just tight enough that the fish and the wave surge won’t trip the dipsy. Some people like to have the fish trip the dipsy, but I don’t like when they do that. In my opinion I get a better hookset with the tension of the untripped dipsy. I seem to lose less fish this way. When it trips it seems to slack a little and I’ll lose more fish. I run 30lb hi viz power pro for line. I keep the drags just tight enough on my dipsys that surge won’t pull any line out. There’s no stretch in the line so if you get something big on there you don’t want your drag buried. If you watch your rod, you’ll see the fish hit. It’s easier if you have 2 rods on a side. If you miss the hit and have one hanging, you will see that one looks different than the other. Popping the dipsy is really easy but it takes a minute for beginners to learn. I kind of do a quick but gentle sweeping hookset. If the tension is set right it’ll pop. I don’t jerk it or pop it or anything like that. There’s no stretch and popping it just rips hooks out and loses fish.

I have always suggested to beginners that they do a small boat educational charter. There are a bunch of guys that run them. It shortens the learning curve for both fishing and buying gear and saves way more money than it costs in the long run.

Thanks for the info. I'm running braid on everything. I'll keep the drag lose with the boards. My dipsey screw was pretty tight. I'll play around with it to get feel for how much tension it should be set at. What you described makes sense though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A dipsey tip if you’re new to running them is to go out when it is calm out.
It will teach your eye how the bend in the rod is with just the dipsey on and with a fish on.
It is A LOT easier to see the hit on a dipsey when it is calm out and the rods aren’t moving as much as they will be in waves and with boat surge.
As far as tension on the dipsey release, we want the dipsey to not trip on a hit.
We want to see the hit then take it out of the rod holder and trip it ourselves.
As your trolling speed increases you will have to adjust the dipsey release a little tighter to reduce false tripping.
Practice with them and you will get good quick.
Good info. As I catch more fish on dispsey diver I think I'll have a better eye for when i fish is on. Wednesday was pretty calm and the walleye was only 19.5" that I probably drug around for who knows how long. Thanks a bunch.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,696 Posts
Definitely go with someone who knows what they are doing to get an idea what to and not to do and the nuances. You can easily turn a trip into a tangled nightmare really quick

1 - 20 of 69 Posts