close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rookie RPM Question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by edge13, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I have a 16' Tracker Pro Deep V with a 40HP mercury. i got this boat this may and have probably had it out 15 times. but i took it out for the first time by myself this past week. and the boat way going mutch faster than usual. i expected it to be a little quicker but didnt think i should see that mutch increase. then i noticed that the RPM guage was showing 7000 rpm. every other time out i was able to get about 5100-5400 RPM which made sense to me since it says 5500 MAX RPM on the motor. My question is do you think my RPM guage is off or do i have a problem?:(

thanks in advance
    edge

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

since the boat is going faster,it would require more rpms,which would lead me to believe your tach may be right.that definitely isn't a good thing.sounds like the motor's due for a check-up.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

7000 rpm.....very bad :(

get that looked at. i would not run it like that again until its looked at. you might cause much more serious damage.

4. I agree that 7000 RPM is bad, but I think it would be so bad that if you ran at those RPMs for any extended time (like a few minutes) that you would have been rowing back. It only takes a few minutes for a shop to check the tach, if you can catch them at the right time, you might not even have to leave the boat. How do you "load" the boat when you have more than yourself aboard? It sounds like you have too much weight forward when you are running heavy and when you are alone you need more prop. It may be that you need 2 props for different loads or back off the throttle when your running light.

Tim

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Assuming you have power trim....

Did you try stopping it shy of the 7k and run it in the recommended range? If so, did it run at the same speed in the rec. range as before?

I had a trim limiter go out on my last boat, and it would let me trim that sucker clear out of the water while I was running. Result, I could get 7k RMP's easily out of it if I wasn't careful. Instead of fixing it, I just made sure to not exceed 5500 and I was ok.

That's why I asking if it still ran as usual in the 5200-5500 range. If so, could be a cheap and easy solution. After my experience, I ALWAYS watch my RPM's when trimming. Just got into the habit.

6. thanks for all the input !!! The boat does not have power trim :( after noticing it was running at 7000 i did back off the throttle and kept it in the 5000-5400 range and it seemed to run fine, at about the same speed i was geting before.(cant judge speed very well except for feel because the MPH guage on the boat is crap) i think i better get her looked at just to be on the safe side. Any recomendations on where to take her in the youngstown region?

thanks again
    edge

7. I have merc 40 h.p. with the opposite problem. Mine will not get above 3200 rpm unless I keep pressing the electric choke. Any ideas?

8. you obviously have a fuel restriction problem somewhere. could be a clogged filter,dirty carbs,possibly linkage or carbs not adjusted rightand possibly a couple other little things.probably be best to have a mechanic check it out.