close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roof Repairing Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bassn317, Jun 3, 2004.

1. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

In a recent storm I have about a 10 ft x 10 ft section that needs new shingles. The felt paper is good. I got my insurance check today and after paying the deductible and the contractor who covered my roof I have about $150 left. My wife works at Lowes so I can get the shingles at cost. It looks like an easy repair, Start from the bottom row of lose or missing shingles and work my self across and up. Is this correct and is it as easy as this. If so I can save myself $250 out of pocket by not having the contractor do it and do it myself.

Anyone have any input or encouragement out there. If it is as simple as I stated then I think I can do that, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Thanks,

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Your right on with your answer. Remove what you have to that needs replaced, When you get to the good shingles be careful to remove the nails and slip the new shingle under the old one, re-nail and you'll be good to go. Plus you'll have $250.00 to spend on tackle!

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

This might sound stupid, but Ive seen two small repair jobs where the replacement shingles werent the exact same color shade as the existing, and you could see a difference. Im not sure if theres anything that can be done about that but if something like that would bother you then lay a few shingles up there first and see how the colors match up. It might look great in your hand on the ground but once its up there it looks different from the others. Good luck.

4. I would tear it all off, carefull not to damage the drip edge. Thats only 3 1/2 bundles of shingles. Read the instructions on the back of the shingles at Lowes. If you think you can follow those instructions, do it. If you have dimensional shingles it will cost a little more but will be easier for you to install. I see people every day who have the same idea and called me after pulling most of they're hair out. I'd let a good roofer do it for all the frustration and the amount of money saved. Half the roofers know less than you about it, they just know enough jargon to convince you to let them do it. If you get a roofer, get references on similar jobs they've done and talk to the homeowners of the job. Roofing isn't for the faint of heart, you have be be a real do it yourself project miester to enjoy this task.
    Good Luck

5. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, don't be afraid to take one of those instructional classes at Lowe's or Home Depot (if your wife will let you). Also, a good home repair book is an extremely handy reference. I work commerical construction, but still have several home repair books on my shelf. There always good for a little extra info. And of course, there is every piece of information you can find on the net. Try the ''National Roofing Association'' (or similar site) or www.doityourself.com.

Catslammer out.

6. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

We decided to do it ourselves. The wife even bought herself a lightweight hammer that her little (112 lb) body can swing. She did her mom and dads rubber roof a few years back and enjoys doing this kind of stuff. She got alot of good tip from Lowes as that's where she works so we have all the material and hopefully (weather) we can get up there this weekend and fix it. Also have to do my daughters VW Beetle brakes and the wifes Ford Contour brakes. Going to be a busy weekend. I can usually do the brakes in 30-45 minutes so maybe there will be time to fish.

As fo matching shingle, it's impossible as you cannot buy shingles with 7 years of wear on them. It's not real visable anyways as we are higher that mos houses on our street.

Thanks again!

7. good luck be be careful of what lowes employees tell you, not meaning anything bad towards your wife

The employess at the one around here are luckey to spell their name to sign their check let alone give advice. WE have customers take our estimates to them to have them beat our price by the 10%. When we do a deck the lags are listed as "bulk fastners" and just the poundage is listed. Had employees call me several times and ask what size lags, i was my usual smart @$ and messed with them, told one 2" and they said that seemed right......to go through 2 2.8's and a 4x4 ????????? right....

also was told by a customer that lowes said that 2x6 or 2x8 would be plenty to span 24' on floor joist for a house placed every 24"oc

not much faith in lowes but hopefully your store is different

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

"you cannot buy shingles with 7 years of wear on them."

Good point, good luck.