Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have a few questions and need some advise on this.

We just moved into our new house and with the price for cable and internet, we have decided to cut our costs and tough it out for now with just internet. I have been looking around the web and came across the Roku. Does anyone have this service? From what I have read it seems like a "box" that lets you stream tv shows and movies for free from the internet straight to your tv. Just wondering if there are any charges for "ordering" a tv program or movie (such as renting the movie or tv show). It doesn't appear that way from what I've read, but there always seems to be some kind of hidden charge or fee.

We have also thought about getting Netflix as well, but didn't know if we would really need it with the purchase of a Roku device.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Bought a new dvd player recently and it basically does the same thing as a Roku.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a roku. We to cut back on our cable. Most channels on roku are free, but to get the most out of the device and still feel like you have cable, I would suggest subscribing to hulu plus for 8$ a month. Or you can use amazon prime and purchase your shows if they have them and aren't on hulu for 1.99, 2.50 for hd. But I am very happy with my roku, also have mine set up to stream all my media that's on my pc! I will be buying another soon!

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I love my Roku. You don't get live local news but there are a few live internet channels. There are a few paid subscription channels, Vudu, Epix,Amazon Prime that charge for renting, but we have Netflix and Huluplus and pay about $16 on top of the internet. There are plenty of options and channels. I worked nights for the last 12 yrs and didn't watch much tv , but it's nice to be able to sit down and watch as many episodes of a show as you want to.Some of the British tv shows and movies are outstanding. There's a channel store you go to to program what channels you'd like to have and they are broken down into categories. You can put a roku wherever you have a tv too or if you have a Smart tv, you can use a usb stick. I said before, no local news but most tv stations stream at newstime anyway to the desktop. A few weather channels with up to date radar and forecasts. We are pleased with ours and the only thing I don't care for is when the ol lady watches the nail painting channel!:D The hardest thing is deciding what you want to watch. There are a few other streaming devices but I don't know anything about them. Hope this helps. Netflix will offer you 30 days free too. I've had Netflix for about 5 yrs and watched on the desktop.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought a new dvd player recently and it basically does the same thing as a Roku.
So your new DVD player lets you stream internet TV to your TV? I know when I previously had netlfix I had to use my xbox 360 to implement the netflix service to the TV, but the Roku does that instead of the xbox and it includes channels, movies, games etc... for no charge from what I understand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't forget you can get free local hd channels using a basic antenna! And don't fall for the marketing telling you you need an hd/digital antenna! I've built 4 antennas for friends using nothing more than a piece of wood some screws and coat hangers that out performed store bought models!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I'm pretty sure Roku and a Blu Ray DVD player will do just about the same thing. I have BluRay inside and Roku on my florida room. I mainly watch netflix on both although there are some other free stuff, you get what you pay for. That being said, I really don't watch much tv at all and when I do, I just use over the air programming.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hesitant about deciding on this, but I think my decision is clear now. I had Netlfix for about 3 years before moving and had to cancel my subscription before we moved. I will be getting it installed again once we get our Roku in the mail, and the wifey likes more up to date tv shows so it lookes like Hulu Plus also... placed an order for the Roku 3.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't forget you can get free local hd channels using a basic antenna! And don't fall for the marketing telling you you need an hd/digital antenna! I've built 4 antennas for friends using nothing more than a piece of wood some screws and coat hangers that out performed store bought models!

LOL... yea we have some rabbit ears right now for local news and weather, got to arrange yourself just right in the living room to get the full picture though :D

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Good ol rabbit ears!! There are many ways to get programming and I just don't keep up with everything. We used to get Netflix thru the Wii when the wifey was alive.. Everyone wants a little piece of the pie so there are many options but We have been very pleased with the Roku and I think you will be too. Some of the subscription channels will offer you 10 free moves and some a month(Amazon Prime)and I think Hulu is offering a free 2 week trial.When you get set up, you can go to roku private channels online and find even more. You can go to your Netflix account and browse through all the movies and put them on you instant queue from the pc, since all the choices won't come up with the Netflix on the roku, but there is still a ton that you do that way. The hardest thing is deciding what you want to watch.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
So your new DVD player lets you stream internet TV to your TV? I know when I previously had netlfix I had to use my xbox 360 to implement the netflix service to the TV, but the Roku does that instead of the xbox and it includes channels, movies, games etc... for no charge from what I understand.
Yea it has Crackle, Netflix, Hulaplus, Youtube, Amazon, Popcornflciks etc. some are free, some are subscription.

When I bought the Sony Bluray it was about the same as a Roku but could play DVDs also.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Don't have a Bluray but do have a dvd player hooked up. Sounds nice to have it all in one device though. King, if you do decide to take some of the free subscription offers, decide what you want to watch and then go back to Net or Hulu and see if they are on their roster so it doesn't count against your free numbers,especially Vudu. there can be some duplication so we learned to check first.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't have a Bluray but do have a dvd player hooked up. Sounds nice to have it all in one device though. King, if you do decide to take some of the free subscription offers, decide what you want to watch and then go back to Net or Hulu and see if they are on their roster so it doesn't count against your free numbers,especially Vudu. there can be some duplication so we learned to check first.
Smart thinking Dave. I will keep that in mind. I think whats nice about it the Roku is I can watch all my youtube subscriptions through the streaming channel for some of the shows. Bowhunter TV has a nice subscription channel on the Roku "Bowhunt or Die" absolutely free... while looking around this morning seems there a requite a few outdoor "channels" that are free to add to the Roku, so I'm in business sounds like.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If your wanting to watch primetime tv shows check out couch tuner, just do a google search for it, also search online for other sites similiar to it to find another shows as well, just hdmi laptop or pc into tv, beware though that some sites are tracked and some do have malicious intent so do research before clicking on some, couch tuner is pretty good on staying up to date with new episodes. roku, apple tv, xbox 360, ps3, wii, all have great platforms to cut the tie from cable, i currently use wii, xbox360, laptop media player (win 7) and there is only a few shows on normal cable that you have to wait to be released after the season ends which youll find out once you start looking around and watching.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.