Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used tree style rod holders and want to know how well they function with big boards. I currently have two sets each of Cisco doubles and triples on gimbals and would like to add more capacity, but not jam up so much rail space. When I picture the trees in my head with lines off to the boards, my head tells me it is a cluster. Anyone running this set-up can let me know how you like it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have never used tree style rod holders and want to know how well they function with big boards. I currently have two sets each of Cisco doubles and triples on gimbals and would like to add more capacity, but not jam up so much rail space. When I picture the trees in my head with lines off to the boards, my head tells me it is a cluster. Anyone running this set-up can let me know how you like it? Thanks.
mount them tords forward your boat ,how far you can,the spot is easy aces to rods,rest of the rodholders go on rail . this way they are out of neting and seting rods.put line with clip on big bord line for retreving while seting rod.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Brad - I run trees with big boards and wouldn't do it any other way. Let me know if you want and we'll make arrangements to get you back down to Bula and head out on my boat this year.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I fished in a boat once that had them and I HATED it because at 5’4” I’m too dang short to reach!!!
all trees are strait,you can ofset them in the boat 6" or 12",just have to make that pipe yourself or custom,if you use cisco you can put them to any hight and any angle,they are adjustable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
all trees are strait,you can ofset them in the boat 6" or 12",just have to make that pipe yourself or custom,if you use cisco you can put them to any hight and any angle,they are adjustable.
The ones this guy had were fixed and I didn’t like that at all. I’ll have to check out the Cisco. I like the idea.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I run Great Lakes Planers, 4' Planer Plus. Reel is at the bottom, shackle at the top and I'm running three rod holders on each.

The rod holders are adjustable and angled out a little more on the middle one and even further on the top one.

What I really like about them is my rod tips are above the tow line and all bounce in unison. Makes it very easy to tell if you have a fish on that didnt pop it off.

Likewise, if your running all the same lengths and the middle rod pops, you just reel in that rod, raise up the one below it, and send it out further on the tow line.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, buying a set Monday. It just seemed awkward in my head, but if did not for work you, you wouldn’t be doing it. I will have the trees installed before my board reels though, ordered Cisco reels long ago but they are WAY behind due to this Covid crap. No big deal, I get that they are doing the best they can. Thanks again.

·
716 Posts
How do you reach the fourth, fifth & sixth rod? On my boat for the first rod tip to be above the tow line, I would have to be about 8’ tall to reach the sixth rod! How do you turn with 300’ of planer tow line out if your rod tips are above the tow line? I would have to see how you manage it, I can envision the tow line jerking 6 rods right out of the holders

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t know about going six rods high, I plan on only three high on each side for the planer boards then running three Dipseys each side behind them on my Cisco tubes. Six Rods stacked would be pretty damn high.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
On mine, the reel is mounted at the base of the tree itself and the tow line comes off a shackle at the top of the tree. So with a 4' tall tree, any rod tip will be above the tow line.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
That setup would put the rods very close to the tow line, no?
Yes it does, but with the rod tips above the tow line, it works out very well. And you dont need to have a retractable dog leash or other mechanism to pull the tow line in to clip a line on as their right there.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Can you post a picture of your setup maybe. Would like to see it set up that way, thanks alot, Mike

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
moust tree's are setup for 3 rod holders,you could put 4 rod holders,that is all for tree,then you have rail and in rail you put one triple or quad or 2 sets on each side or you can use singles,how many you like.best if you have rail all tha way to mitle off boat,this way you can move the rod holders where you like.i prefer to have 3' or 4' from back open for neting and seting rods,it depend on the style off boat.my frend has alumacraft and 4 sets of triple cisco,the first set is mounted 4' from back boat the second set is 6' from back it work perfect.we use clip and line to reech big bord line.when you set rod you grab line with clip,bring the line in clip on rod line and then slow relese back,if you let that go it may relese line or wrap oround big bord line.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I was running mine in my trees and couldn't detect smaller fish, went back to the gunnel tubes and rods all close together and can pick out one of the 6" walleye hanging very easily, there were times with the rods in the tree I'd have a small fish on every rod and not know it.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I would not want my planer board mast on or near the gunnel. Too much jerking of the boards, especially in higher waves
use 4' snuber 150 #.when you watching the tips you can detect the bite,same think like dipsy,when you use truetrip dipsy,you catch fish she relese the true trip and line go back the fish is on top,the angle fishing line change and you know there is fish or released true trip.you should check line every 10 to 15 minutes,if there is fish or no fish,this give you chance to change presentation,defrent color,defrent style,you have to work more,give you beter chance to catch fish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts