Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sitting somewhere fishing
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a year or two back, with a bunch of money I had saved up (im a teenager), i hit up the toledo BPS and one of the many things I purchased was a 7 ft carrot stix wild black, about a month later, i had hooked a 30lb grass carp the day before. The next day I went out with a spinnerbait (3/16 oz) and as i took my first cast it snapped. Clean break as well. I went back got another and a few weeks back the same thing happened. Does anyone know of a nice baitcasting rod relatively close to the price of a carrot stix wild black? (120 dollars).

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
With that kind of budget you shouldnt have any problem getting a rod.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Theres a new rod maker that came out last year(that im aware of) called Halo. They have a series called the Daylite... if it's a tough light rod with alot of backbone and a xtra fast tip. We have sold a bunch of them at Landbigfish and everyone(including myself) that has used them has came back with a positive review. And they sell for less then your budget. If it's a whipstick you are looking for Halo is not what you are looking for, they are stout and sensitive.
If you are looking for more of a moderate action, you may want to look at Falcon originals... again very few issues with breakage with Falcons. My 2cents... but there are tons of rods out there that will meet your criteria with the budget you have.
heres some links
http://www.landbigfish.com/HaloFishing/HaloDayLiteCastingRods.cfm
http://www.landbigfish.com/FalconRods/Falcon-Rods-Original-Casting-Series.cfm

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
My first graphite rod was a BPS extreme combo I bought about 7 years ago, on sale for $80.00. It's a 7' MH fast rod. I originally bought it to fish dune lakes in Florida and have caught several muskie on it + bass and the usual suspects you find in creeks and rivers. I still use it, it was $80.00 well spent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love the Mojo rods;i tournament fish and can not say anything negative of them.You can pick them up for around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
+1 for the St. Croix Premier, great rod, hard to beat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I work at the bass pro in toledo and I am wondering when you got your carrot stick? When they first came out they had issues but it seems that they fixed that. Anyway, I love the Abu Garcia veritas, for 99 dollars its a great rod that has nice backbone and the fast action truly is sensitive. Also, I would recommend getting a rod with micro guides!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
13 Omen Series are 100$ and are very light and strong. I think they offer a 10 year warranty as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts