Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I've recently gotten into serious fishing. I've stocked up on softbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jig head, etc. Now i'm thinking I need to upgrade my rods. Currently I'm using rods/reels that are easily ten years old and I'm sure they were parts of combo sets when I bought them. The reels are actually in pretty good shape but I really think I need to upgrade my rods. Particularly fishing soft baits.

Like most, I'm on a tight budget. I'm aware that St. Croix's and G Loomis' are the best but I don't want to spend the money on those rods yet. I'd like to start with something a bit more economical and work my way up.

All of that being said, do you guys have any suggestions on a decent rod that'll be an upgrade? I'm thinking something in the $30 - $60 range.

Thanks!

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Head to walmart. Find a rod called a Berkley Bionix, the older models are discontinued.
I got mine for $8. If you find one make sure it does not have all metal guides, those ones are the cheap ones.
It is easily the best spinning rod I own, over St. Croix. I paired it with my stradic! :D

·
Bassin' Buckeye
806 Posts
I definitely agree with the Walmart statement. Two of my more recent rods have been from there. If you're looking for a spinning rod, I have a Shakespear Excursion Graphite rod that has been great for me. I get awesome distance with this rod. Mine is 7' Medium Heavy action.
For my baitcasting rod, I bought a Berkley Lightnin' Rod (graphite also). I am not that great at the baitcaster yet, but the rod seems pretty sweet.

·
I fish therefore I am!!
759 Posts
i have numerous rods and i keep goin back to berkley bionix and lightning rods i have had great luck with these rods and they have never let me down in my opinion for the money u cant beat em . i also have a fenwick venture rod that came from wally world its a 6' medium action casting rod and man paired up with my shimano citica i love that combo.

·
Registered
894 Posts
walmart does have some nice rods, but another place too look is bass pro, they always have rods on sale at decent prices, i got a bps extreme series rod for $59 and its one of the best rods ive used for the money.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,131 Posts
I'm also a fan of Lightning Rods for the money but I have had a couple of problems with the handles coming loose. They cost $29 - $49 everywhere. My current favorite is a Bass Pro Enticer combo that I got for around $49.00 on sale a couple of years ago. The list price is $99.00 for the combo but they are always on sale for less. They are much lighter than most rods in the price range. That can make a difference in wear and tear on your wrist when you are jigging Walleyes all day on the big lake.

You say you are OK with your reels but you may change your mind when you pick up a new one. All of my good ones have 10 ball bearings, instant anti-reverse, great drag, etc. When I got back into fishing a lot about ten years ago I got a few new reels that I thought were good ones. I almost never touch those now and have actually traded a couple of them in at BPS for a $5.00 coupon.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My favorite rods I own are my Gander Moutain Guide Series rods. They sell all styles and they are reasonably priced. I don't think I paid more than $35 for any of them. I have a couple Cabelas rods that were around the same price and they are good quality as well but they are very heavy compared to the Guide Series rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts