close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod Holders for Boat

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Reel Lady, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

We are in the process of getting our new boat set up, and have a question about fishing pole holders. Just so you know, these holders need to mount onto the 7/8" SST round rail, and we would like to get 6 of them.
    What are the important.. must have features in a rod holder? We will need these holders to accomodate both spinning and casting reels. I know one feature that I want is the ability to change the angle of the holder. Are there any manufacturers that we should stay away from? Do the plastic ones hold up?
    I'd appreciate your input... :)
    Marcia

2. I have the Cabela's Quick Draw holders.
    No hassels in getting it out of the holder and adjustable 360 degress.

3. I have a ?,what keeps the rod holder from spining on the rail when a large fish is hooked?My brothers boat has rails & we were just wondering.

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I had Scottys on my last boat which are were heavy plastic. They excepted spinning, level winds or casting rods. They also have a rotating collar so the rod can be locked in, the angle can easily be adjusted as well as the holder can be pivoted in it's base for better spacing. The big drawback with this type of holder is the butt of the rod will protude into the boat and cause interference with your movements.
    I really like the tube types (rocket launchers) since it eliminates the protruding butt problem. :D Tite-Lok makes a couple of models that allows for changing the rod angle quickly or pivoting around the base. Though the latter is not as easily accomplished. They also make a model called the Quick Draw, which allows you to set the hook all in one fluid motion.
    The Berts (Launchers) are very good holders as well though a bit more pricier than the Tite-Lok"s.
    All of the above have rail mount adapters for the holders.
    Bert's and Tite-Lok has a really nice track system too. Check their web sites out.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Truck,
    I had the same concern since I had two of the Scotty's mounted on the bow rails. Surprisingly, they can be tighten down to get a really good snug grip. I've pull big dipsies with an offshore board using this setup and never had a problem. As a backup measure, I'd always use the locking collar on those two holders.
    Of course that wouldn't include big Cats or Salmon. :D
    The other four holders were hard mounted to the gunwale and were really ridgid.
    So I'd say if you're targeting really large fish go with a hard mount that is fixed with screws or bolts with a stainless steel backing plate...just my .02 cents worth.

6. We used the berkley plastic rod holders last year,and have replaced 4 of 6, two for complete pedistal breakage and two for the hex horizontal position lock stripping,in fact we became so concearned with rod loss, that bungee cords have been installed from the base to pedistal to keep them from 'hopping " out of the socket even when in the "locked" position.Based on our experience spend the buck and go metal which is what we are doing now.

7. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Ive got 4 5610's , 2 on each side and 2 5620's out the back. the 5610's work good for spinning rods or trolling rods horizontally or at an angle out the side. they take a little getting use to for getting the rod out but once you get use to them its second nature. they are strong, i jumped out of the boat onetime and got the back of my shirt caught on one of them and i was left hangin out the side of the boat in the garage. it bent it up a litte but i was able to straighten it out. little secret to mounting rodholders on rails is to wrap the rail with an old bike tube.

sowbelly

8. we troll almost exclusively for musky. we've tried berkley's rod holders and scotty's and have each one break. I wouldn't use anything but down east's holders that are all steel. Extremely durable, easy to remove a rod and handles large fish. You can get them to mount on the rails and just about any other surface. My two cents worth.

9. I like the Ram high post holders. Very strong and have an excellent easy to release rod lock. Adjustable in every direction. Again, as stated brfore, the only drawback is the rod handle protrudes intpo the boat but I don't think that will be a hinderence on the boat you have purchased.

10. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Wow, you see, I would have never thought about the "Protruding Butt" problem.... But actually, this would be a problem, because we need to somehow be able to use these holders at night when the full canvas top is up. I'm still trying to figure out how to make access to our rods in the rod holders in that situation. We will have SST round rails on the bow, sides, and transom of the boat. Anyone have any creative suggestions for access to the rods with the top up?

11. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Sowbelly- forgive me for laughing but the picture of you hanging by your shirt from one of your rod holders in your garage made me laugh. :D

12. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i wish i woulda had it on tape. i was lucky enough to be able to get my feet on the trailer and lift myself up to unhook my shirt. it was about as funny as the time i was loading the boat and thought i could jump out an use the shaft of the trolling motor (MK pd 40) to hold onto til i got my feet on the trailer. well i didnt have it locked and that damn thing deployed and i went into the drink...

jokes on me!!!!
    sowbelly

13. Mount four holders across the stern. One on each corner and two in the middle. I used this method on my 23 footer and it worked quite well with the camper canvas up and the back window opened. Point the corner rods at right angle to the side of the boat and slightly angle the middle ones outward. The middle rods should be run a different distances behind the boat and the corner ones furthest back. You will have to be very careful netting the fish and may want to have someone drop the side curtains as the fish gets closer to the boat.

14. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I use Tite-Lok on the sides and back of the boat and they work great pulling dipsy on Erie. I’ll agree with sowbelly about the strength. I’m thinking of putting a couple of scottys on the bow for catfishing but I’m not to sure that I would fell comfortable pulling dispys using them.

15. marcia,
    it comes done to down much you want to spend and what task the need to perform..
    I have some rather expensive rod holders that i bought for my dipsies on my charter boat(that has 37 rod holders onboard) that are fully adjustable and rotate and eliminate the "butt in the boat factor" i had the titeloks , but they wear out on dipsies, but they are good for boards small dipseys.. the plastic rod holders on the small boat are good for plugs and drifting, but the down-easters that the muskie guys use are the strongest for the buck and they make a rail adapter, they work for both spinning and baitcasting gear, there major setback is the "butt in the boat" factor..
    hope this helped..
    capt. brian