Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Now that I have my new vessel at home, I need to set it up just right for fishing. I will go through my thoughts and you pros can give me any suggestions or feedback on do's and don'ts....Thanks in advance!

I ordered a rod holder rail with 3 aluminum/adjustable rod holders for each side gunnel for planer board rods. I was also thinking of mounting 4 rails....two on each back side of the gunnels and two out the back ends, equipped with fish-on mounts and holders for St. Claire muskies or dipsys. I'm also leaving room on the back corners for downriggers.

One concern I had was mounting the Big-Jon planer board reels on the side rail of the hard top....I heard that a shocker spring pulley toward the front of the hard top mounted and run the line through would be a good idea....I also saw shockers that could be mounted directly to the boards. Any suggestions here? Sounds like the pulleys forward may keep the line away from the rods more.....Any help in set up would be greatly appreciated because I'm getting all this stuff in this week and want to make sure its done right.....

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Seems that the perch aren't hitting to good yet . Most guys including myself are eye fishing. Was out saturday & heard Linda Mae on the radio & had 70. Don't know how many people aboard , but it's not good. I'm a die hard perchfisherman & I hope they turn on soon . Call wildwood & they should give you the numbers their catching .

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlueFinn, what does any of that have to do with this thread? Anyway, I was out for perch yesterday out of Conneaut, OH and we caught very few. It was a slow day! It was just nice to finally get the new boat out on Erie, thats for sure. I just cannot wait to get out there fishing for the walleye!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1. I have a 4' black, heavy duty bungee between the mast line and the boards, a must!

2. Board size! Bigger is better, too small of a board and it will not pull the board line tight enough!

3. Mast height! Taller is better so the clips will slide down. I had the same. 5' mast installed on my previous Galaxy, and there was always an issue of the clips sliding down the line because I was not high enough from the water. In my new boat, I’m much higher and I don’t have that problem anymore. Make sure that installing the reel to the hard top will give you the proper height.

4. Mast location! FRONT OF THE BOAT! The closer your board line to your rod lines, the better chance to have the fishing line wrap around you board line, pain in the a$$. When you have winds from the back of the boat, it will push the loops in your fishing line ahead of your board lines, so the further the distance between the two, the better off you are. Have them too close, and you’re asking for trouble.

5. One more advice! On the above note, whenever you get a few released clips, before you release the furthest rod, pop the furthest rod and reset it. Every time a release pops, it snaps the board line and the lose releases on your board line spin around it. If the rod line happens to be too close, it will catch it and spin it around the board line. Once that happens, the only way to get it lose is to pull your boards in. Rule of thumb: If you have more then three released clips between the boat and an unreleased rod line, pop it and reset it, so all the released clips will be past it. Best to get more clips then to deal with tangled lines!

I only jumped on this because I also have a few things that I would do much different now, but since I have a few thousands already into them, I’m kind of stuck. Hopefully it helped.

Tight Lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Registered
965 Posts
Amish outfitters has real nice board shockers. And like Fish Crazy said get that mast to the front if possible.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
What Fish-Crazy is talking about above is particularly troublesome when running PowerPro or any superbraid. The wind really catches all super braids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts