close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rod holder installation question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by jeffmo, Sep 2, 2004.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i'm getting ready to install my new rod holders on my boat and was wondering if it will be strong enough if i simply install washers on the underside of the topside mounting surface or if i should have some metal plates made up that would match the mounting base and put those on the underside then bolt the holders on.i'm just not sure if using 4 nuts,bolts and washers will have the strenght to keep them in place without damaging the topside mounting surface.
    thanks guys!
    jeff

2. I guess a lot of it depends on the composition of your mounting surface. Mine was treated plywood beneath my carpet. It seemed to be pretty sturdy and in fact I went with just four big screws into the plywood. I have not yet had any problems but then again I have not put a monster fish on the other end to test it.:rolleyes: If your drag is set such that your giving to the fish or snag then I am not sure how much pressure you are actually exerting. I would think that the four bolts with washers should be more than enough.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i put aluminum plates underneath . i suggest to do it if you will be trolling with dipsey divers. if just flatlining go with the washers.

4. That is a good point about dipseys. Also I am hoping to try musky trolling a bit at some point with mine. I think I will add the plates to mine this winter just to be sure.:D

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on the plates.never hurts to have insurance :)

6. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i'm gonna go ahead and make a trip over to a buddys metals shop and have him make up some aluminum plates for the underside.i think the mounting surface is aluminum(it's got carpeting on it)so it sure won't hurt to be safe.since most of the strain on the rod holders will probably be towards the sides i'm gonna have him make the plates several inches larger than the mounting base.
    mounting them on the drivers side is gonna be a alot tougher job.most of the wiring and the steering cables are on that side.so not only do i have to cut away a little of the flotation foam but i gotta get the wiring and cables out of the way.
    i just had to have a bigger boat didn't i??? :rolleyes:
    thanks for the help guys!
    jeff