close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod for Vib E

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by papaperch, Nov 16, 2004.

1. OK you guys got me convinced to try the vibes. Now , what rod should I use?
    Will be using 1/8 oz - 3/4 oz sizes. Since it will be used for strictly ice fishing the vibes what would be your best suggestion ? When I used the sonars I used a custom 4-1/2 foot fiberglass rod. While it did the job there was lots of room for improvement. :confused:

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Over the last few seasons I have been constantly looking for ice rods that had the backbone to both work the larger size bladebaits and to drive a hook home on the upsweep. Your 4-1/2 footer is fine if you're not in a shanty. I've found a few companies that can provide good rods for the purpose.They aren't marked with a manufacturers name but I can try to find out for you. I personally have 2 that are perfect for me but everyone that sees them calls them broomsticks, lol. One is an 18" and one is a 20"er, so they are good for use in a shanty. They are for open face reels. I also have solid glass 24"ers in open face and solid glass 28"ers in baitcasting that are made for pike and Lake Trout. Both are more than capable of driving the hooks home on a 10 pound + Erie 'Eye. For slightly lighter inland 'Eye applications, South Bend makes a model # L-202, 24", marked Light Action but definitely NOT, that is a good Saugeye rod for 1/4-1/2 ouncer bladebaits. Another for the same is the HT Enterprises Iceman Power System ICS-28. I carry both.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I like to use baitcasting equipment for vertical jigging while ice fishing. I use a small Ryobi V-Mag 1, baitcasting reel and Mitchell Brush rods. I have both 24" and 30" rods. These rods are a fiberglass composite and when matched with Fireline give me the feel and power that I am looking for. These rods matched with mono would not give me the power I want, the rod and fireline combo is what make this combo work for me.

I plan on having a couple of custom rods made for me this year by OGF member, CountryKat rods.

Jim,

Do they still make the baitcaster model Mitchell Brush rods? If they do and you can find them I'd like to get a few more.

Thanks,
    Kim

4. Corey

I'll check for you and let you know. Wanna go to Erie soon?

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Jim,

Hunting season and work have kept me form any erie fishing since the Hawg Fest. I am up here now and going to Cranberry to get the boat and take her home for the winter. I need to winterize before it gets too cold.

I may hit Indian for one last trip next week.

Too much to do and too little time!

Kim

6. Corey

Whaaaaaaaah! I'm gonna hit the big pond at least once more this month. Winterize???????What's that? Oh, I know.........protection for the week that we'll have ice, lol. I figure winterization time will be in the first part of January. 'Til then it's open water 'Eye Time!!

7. Thanks to all who responded. I ended up getting Country Kat to build me one.
    Supposed to be here in 10 days. Cmon cold weather.