close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod comparisons

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by davycrockett, Apr 12, 2005.

1. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

Been contemplating several rod purchases. I'm looking at a 6' or 6'6' ult.light spinning and a 6 1/2' med light casting. I'm looking hard at St. Croix Premiere. I like my BPS Bionic Blade rods but anymore Bionics are running close to St. croix. I'd rather buy stuff made in the USA for the same price range. I've also looked at Falcon. They offer rods in that $100 and under range. Has anyone fished with any of these and compared them? Thanks :)
    Dave :D

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

go with the st croix, and get the avid. they come with a lifetime warranty, and the premier's are only 2 years. i got a 6'6" ul and a 6'6" light action and there both great rods.

sowbelly

4. davycrockett

Thanks for the advice, Sowbelly but I want to stay in the $70 to $100 range. Have you ever fished any others beside avids? Thanks :D
    Dave

5. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

only ever had 1 premier and i didnt like the action of it. it was a 6' ul and it was too whippy for casting. after using my first avid i decided all my rods would be avids from there on. ive had to return a few of them for damage and i have recieved a new rod each time and only had to pay the shipping. some of them were defects and a few were victim to the rod locker either way no questions asked. i know you set your limits but trust me, spend 30 more and you'll have a rod that youll fall in love with and a warranty for life.

sowbelly

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

All Star Rods are all American made and they run for under $100. They will ask no questions to replace a broken rod. Give them a try.

7. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

go with bionic blades!!! great rods.st. croix are too brittle. i have several bionic blades and love them. i use the 6' light for spinning in the river and 6'6" medium for lakes. also use the 5'6" ultralight for rivers. right now they are 49 bucks.

8. St. Croix !!! have 5 of there rods including a salmon/steelhead rod used in Michigan each fall. I have 3 Premier spinning rods and one Pro-Glass casting rod i use for crankbaits. The rods are well made and very sensitive with a fast action tip, not to mention they are priced moderately for the quality of rod you get. I love them and everyone i know that has a St.Croix says the same thing. Best of luck and good fishin !!!!

9. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

If you have the money the St.Croix are great rods.

Bass Pro Shops makes really nice rods for a cheaper price.

10. I use Falcons. I only have one of them in a spinning model, it is the FS-4-166. It is a very nice rod, even though I would have preferred the 3 power spinning model, but they didn't have any the day I bought it. I also have 1 FC-3-166 (personal favorite), 2 FC-4-166 (again they were on sale and didn't have a 3 power), and 1 FC-6-166.

All of the rods are from the Silver Series/ only one Falcon Original (essentially the silver series with some minor changes new for this year). Also for a little bit more money, maybe $10 or $20 the Falcon Lowriders are worth a look. After using my rods for some time, I think paying a little more for the Concept Guides on essentially the same blank would be worth the extra money.

Well anyhow, whichever make or model of the American made rod you choose, I am sure that you will be happy. They all seem to be quality rods.

Joe

11. I'll second the All-Stars. I'll take my All star over my St. Croix's and Fenwick's any day of the week. It's an awesome rod. I just need an excuse to go and get another one....
    :D

12. I have both St. Croix and BPS and love them both. You can't go wrong either way. I will say if you can afford to bump up a little to the BPS 85 million modulus rods you won't be sorry. They are very light, very thin diameter but tons of back bone and a great action. I have a 6'6" M spinning. The rod close to the tip is as thin as a pin (whoa, that didn't sound good) but it has enough back bone to really drive a hook home and fight a big fish out of cover.

As for St. Croix I have a couple that I use all the time and they are great. They are just a little heavier than the BPS (weight, not action) but I do have to agree they seem a little brittle. I have an old 6'6" premier that I have actually retired. Couldn't stand the thought of breaking it.

Falcon; I have one and its not their top of the line model. I would compare it to a BPS Tourney Special. A good rod but not great. Mine ran around $60 and I'd just as soon use my $29.99 Tourney Special rods.

Something else you might want to consider is Browning. Five years ago I would have never even thought about a Browning but over the past two or three years they have started producing some very nice rods. $70 - $80 will get you a good one. They also come in slightly different lengths and actions than other makers. Just something to consider.

13. davycrockett

Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm going to Netcraft(Toledo) tommorow and buy a Falcon original 6' UL. A St. Croix Avid will probably be my next purchase. I'll post my results. :)

Dave

14. I have fished with about every St croix rod out there!!! They are awsome rods and with the warrenty you cant go wrong. I have a buddy that reps for the st.croix rod company. If you are going to go that route email me and I will see if I can get you a deal!!!

15. I've fished with both the St Croix and the Falcon rods and for sensitivity I think they are both equal. I have 14 St Croix's mostly 6'-6" bait casters and spinning, all of them are premiers except 1 Avid. Truthfully I see very little difference in the Avid. I have broken a couple premiers in the past and returned them with 5$ and they replaced them. I used to use Bionics in the past but then I realized the difference when the bass bite was light. As far as durability treat the St Croix with care and it will last a lifetime.....they ain't Ugly Sticks.

16. I have a 6' UL St. Croix Premier with a Tica Cetus reel. You won't be disappointed. I have no problems with sensitivity, rod quality, or really anything. That little rod has taken everything from bluegill in a pond to sheepshead off a pier (thanks also to a perfectly functioning drag on a quality reel.). My setup is about $150.00. 4lb Trilene XL seems to work well for me. ;)

17. davycrockett

After reading all the great comments by y'all, I bought a rod. It's a Shimano Convergence 6' UL spinning. I picked it up last Sat. @ Netcraft for $39.99. I never thought much of Shimano rods but after the salesman told me it had a LIFETIME WARRANTY I was sold. I had a Falcon Original 6' UL for $59.99 in my hand and was ready to buy it. We'll see. :) Thanks for the input!

Dave