close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod building

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hatchetman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Need a little advice. I've been building and re-wrapping rod's for quite a few years now but I haven't figured out one thing. When I am re-wrapping a rod and changing the guide spacing to what it should be for maximum distance, when I remove the guides what sort of solution should I use to remove the old epoxy or whatever the particular manufacture used to coat the wrappings?? I can remove the thread with no problem but to get the wrapping finish off I have been lightly sanding or scraping. There has to be a better way. Thanks in advance....Pete

2. Tough job to do right, that's for sure.

My best results have come from using a hair dryer to soften the glue left over and immediately rubbing it down with a washcloth dipped in acetone. The acetone seems to cut it better while its soft. After you get it started, you can switch to denatured alcohol. It's not as strong and works slower as you get closer to the blank finish. It's a goot idea to mask the areas of the blank you're not working on also.

It's tricky though. Too much heat will damage the blank and too much acetone will eat the blank finish underneath. Once you're done, a light coat of automotive wax will polish any dull areas.

3. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Thank's billk. I'll give that a try on my next re-wrap. It has to be a better way even if it takes longer....Pete