close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod and reel weight

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by RWBlue, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Is there a good chart that says:
    ultra-light combo is good for fish up to X lbs.
    Light combo is good for fish from X-Y lbs.
    Medium combo is good for fish from Y-X lbs.
    Heavy combo is good for fish from X-Z lbs.

What weight line goes with each rod?

Any disadvantages with fishing with a rod that is a little heavy or light for the fish you expect?

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Most rods will have a rating on them. Lure weight...1/4 oz - 1/2 oz, or 3/4 oz- 2 oz, etc.

3. Thanks I didn’t know that. But it doesn’t answer my underlying question.

Let me try this again.

I have been fishing and ultra-light combo. I have been told that the max line strength I should be using is 6 lbs. Does that mean that the max fish I should try to land is 6 lbs?

I also have a medium rod with a crappy reel. The rod says it is good for 6-12 lbs. line. Does that mean that this rod should be able to handle a 12 lbs. fish, but not larger?

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

id say yes. (if that) the reason is because the rod will not offer much support or shock absorption from the fight that that fish will give you.

It would be a fair fight for a fish such as crappie or stocked trout but if you catch say a steelhead or a big walleye that rod will bend over like a wet noodle. then all the force will be on the line. you wont be able to play out the fish.

set your drag a little light and you will be able to play out most all of Ohio's largest fish.

The only fish in Ohio where they use rods stronger than that (medium heavy and stronger) are for the huge catfish of big rivers and lakes. and for trolling.

fish with a rod thats too light, like i said above, the fish will be in control of the fight and you wont be able to play it out. it will probably get loose or break your rod.

fish with a rod thats too heavy and you will lose sensitivity. and it isnt much fun either.

you always want to use the lightest line and lightest rod action practical for the fish you are targeting or are likely to encounter. the reason for going with lightest line practical is to keep from spooking the fish. the reason for going with a lighter rod action is to give you more feel.

i like 4 lb. on my ultra lights and maybe 6 or 8 on the mediums. lately ive been trying fireline which is 10 but has the diameter of a 2 lb. mono. no line does it all, theres a lot of personal preference involved. i would suggest to use 8 lb. mono on the mediums unless you are trying to catch some big catfish or something really big. then go bigger.

eventually your personal preferences will dictate what you want, a lot depends on what you are trying to catch.

these are just my opinions, there are no real set rules to this game. other people might have better advice.

be careful not to exceed the lure weight which is written on the rod, you could break the rod casting the lure.

5. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

RWBlue,
    I don't have a site or table to offer, although I am also interested.

I almost exclusively use an Berkley Ulta Lite 5' with a Spirex 500 reel (small one). I normally use 12lb spiderwire line. The setup works well for feeling the structure and strikes with smaller baits and plugs. I have caught 10+ lb hybrid stripers and recently landed a 30" steelhead on it. The rod didn't give much support, but the drag worked pretty well. I have also had to replace the bail springs a couple of times, but I think that was more from overuse :D I usually fish 3-4 days a week Spring-Fall so I think I just wore it out. I have had the setup for 3+ years.

One more note from experience. Catching larger fish is easier on crankbaits, spinners, etc. with the light setup. Anything with exposed hooks, preferably trebles. I had a hard time fishing a large tube bait that Rooster lent to me on the LMR. It was a 4" triple dip model with an 1/8 ounce wait. The lure on its own put some pressure on my setup and made it harder to tell strikes from bumping/hanging on rocks and cover.

One more note, I often fish from a kayak, so that provides some extra drag!! :D That 30" steelhead pulled me around for about 5 minutes before I could get much line back. I had to get out of the boat to land it.

Creekwalker

6. The rating for the line test is simply a guideline to indicate to you the strength of the rod or the reel. If it is rated for 6# test that means that it is not intended to be using 12# to exert extreme force to pull in a fish. That does not mean however that a 6# fish is all that it will and should be used for. If the conditions warrant the use of light line and there are no snags to work around it is conceivable that you can catch a fish larger than the 6#. To do so puts more importance on proper drag setting. I have landed 15# or larger carp on 8# test line before. If you know you are targeting larger fish though you may be better off to equip yourself with tackle more suited to the size of the fish otherwise you may lose more battles than you win.

7. Sounds like we are doing some of the same type of fishing. I fish from my canoe. I almost landed a flathead cat that drug me around for awhile before I lost it while trying to get it into the canoe.

8. Hoisting the fish out of the water is where you really need to be careful with the line test. At that point your line to fish weight ratio will be pretty much right as far as what you can hoist provided that the line has not been compromised by a weak knot or abrasion to the line. Not to mention that hoisting the fish will put additional stress on the hook in an outward direction that could force it to tear loose. The bottom line is that you will be much better off to either land them with a net or work them in to the shallows wo that you can handle them.

9. Jusst landed a Cat yesterday on my ultralight rod. It was great. I get it on the boat, and then it breaks the line. :)

10. I know this is an old thread, but I had a related question.

I've noticed on spinning reels that there is a set of 3 line weights on the spools.

120/4 80/6 60/8

is an example from an Okuma reel.

Is this the stated "recommended" line weight to use with the reel? or is it a guideline based upon the size of the reel? I ask because I was thinking about getting a reel and loading 2 lb on it and I wanted a reel that had a good capacity, just in case the fish really takes off.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the numbers are just for reference to tell you how much of a certain size line it takes to fill the reel.

12. On that particular reel you would probably get 200+ yards of line. I can not imagine where you would need 200 yards of 2# line unless you were fishing a LOT of open water and trying for a line test record for a particular fish.:confused: Most filler spools of line come in 150 yard spools. If you were to put a filler spool of 2# on that reel I would leave a good portion of the heavier line to fill the core more. The reel will cast better and the drag will work better if the spool is filled up rather than only half full.