close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rod advice

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BowKat04, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Was wanting to know if anyone has any good advice on good rods for cattin. I need some new rods and was wanting to see what everyone uses and likes and dislikes and where to buy them at? My reels is use are ABU 6500c's. Are these berkley ecat rods any good and where can you buy them at? Thanks for any replys. Paul

2. Been fishin' for a lot of cats a lot of years on GMR and Ohio River, and really like the BPS Cattmaxx series. Bought e-glass so they could take a little more beating than graphite. We've got 4 of the 8-ft, medium heavy, one piece rods - ran about $40 each a couple years ago, haven't priced them since. I, too, was interested the the ecat Berkely, but this was a good choice. I will say that I've thought about changing the guides to the old style shockring mounted SiC, probably next winter. Mounted with 6500C3 reels, 20-lb Trilene Big Game, these work well for the boat or bank. Ours get fished almost every week, sometimes 3 times a week in the summer and fall.

Our typical setup on the dam at GMR:
    [​IMG]

THis is Young Whisker in his favorite pose:
    [​IMG]

3. How big was that shovel that young was holding up? Big boy there!

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Berkly E cats are no longer made..I would reccomend the Quantum Bigcat, or any heavy action ugly stik rod.

5. shovelhead was 35 lb even - late fall on GMR

6. Give these a good look. www.countrykatfishing.com Some of the cat guys here on OGF have been giving them a work out and have good things to say about them.Plus you`ll be supporting a fellow OGF member.

Bub

7. Not that I know anything but if you can try other peoples rods first if you possible.I like ugly sticks,and have tried the countrykat rods like them also.Good luck

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I perfer St Croix Classic Cat rods..... Good luck finding them though. I sold th e2 I had, due to $ problems and the fact that I cant walk into a certain gun store & not buy anything.

I think price has a lot to do w/ your selection. If $ is an issue, take a look @ Cabelas King Cat & King Cat Pro rods. $20 & $30 , alos like Bubba said try the country cat rods, he did have a great sale on some of them.

9. are u fishing from bank or boat

10. JBJ

JBJ

I'll second that. I started using CountryKat bass rods last season. Top notch quality. There are a mess of testimonials on the site for his Cat rods.

11. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I'm looking to move my 4 UglyStik cat rods and buy something else. 7' rods, one piece, heavy actions I believe.

P.M. me.

UFM82