Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see the rocky is running at 241 Cfs this morning instead of 35 Cfs which is what it has been running the past 4-5 days With the water moving finally and the colder weather I think the season is only a few days to a week away from starting. Water temp dropped 7 degrees yesterday also..Get ready boys its around the corner

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Night Owl
421 Posts
Heading to the river now. Going to work from the hospital towards the boat docks. I'll let yo know what I saw

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Might head up Sunday or wait a week. Supposed to rain next Thursday an Friday so that should push some in as well. Fished and scouted last Sunday when it was low and clear and found some nice new spots I can't wait to try out. Seen 1 swim by me by the marina. Other than that caught some smallies and some nice gills on jigs and maggots. Used that because i figured smallies would hit it a well. also fished spawn sacs and cleos for a little bit and not 1 hit.Millions of shiners in the river

·
Registered
28 Posts
What size of Cleo's do you guys throw down there and what patterns? A steady retrieve or bump and go? I'd like to give this a try instead of drift fishing but I don't really know where to begin

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I throw 2/5 oz. blue/silver, orange/gold, orange/silver, green/silver. I like catching them casting because the hit but there is just something about seeing that float sink and bam fish on and then he's 6 ft in the air. It gets the blood going

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anything with silver on it seemed to work for me in the past. I've got 2 different sized blue/silver ones, a green/silver one, HBGG, RT, and WM (see link below, I don't know what the patterns are called...)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Last year when its high and nymphing isn't very effective I throw Jr. Thunder sticks on spinning gear like how people swing flies or spoons. And I would get 8-10lbers almost everytime I went 1379135271157.jpg out. Purple/silver was the best!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Do work son.
326 Posts
I'm heading down tomorrow.. Any tips for fishing a bigger channel? i've only fished here once and i think i went off the bottom with spawn sacks and no luck. Where do fish hold in a big channel like that?

·
Registered
603 Posts
We're waiting. :). How else will I know when the steelhead are in?
One more good cold rain should do it! But people are catching em just not any numbers obviously. I got my spots a bit away from the marina so I'm going to wait till it rains and the river is on its way down :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya most of my spots are way down river past the golf courses. That's why I'm waiting. My forecast says rain thurs fri and sat so might mozy on up Sunday and see if I can land any between the first couple fords.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
is the rocky blown out? I know it's at 2000 cubic feet per second but what's a good flow to fish and when is it too high?

Yep. 600-700 is fishable if you know how to fish high water. I think 250-450 is prime for the rocky. Some like it a bit higher or lower. 2000 is especially high when the flow started at yesterday's 40.

·
Registered
511 Posts
We caught 3 of them a week ago and saw a few others caught as well,also saw many dead thursday eithrr due to the heat or lack of oxygen the rocky should be loaded monday when the flow settles down

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts